Don't Leave Your Windows Open!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by txcarl1258, Sep 27, 2010.

1. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Its a wonderful day here in South Texas, for once it isn't scorching hot. So I decided to open the windows to let some fresh air in the house. After doing so I look into the living room and the hens are jumping in through the window! I found my Red Sex Link and my White Leghorn sitting on top of my couch! [​IMG] I guess they thought they should come in to. I have had them come in through the front door when I leave it open, but never the window. A warning for everyone else who dares to open their windows with free ranging chickens. [​IMG]

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

3. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

That's hysterical! Get some pics!
    My hubs would freak! [​IMG]
    Of course, he hasn't been out in the coop all morning, watching first timer pullets laying their first eggs, either [​IMG]
    bit o'poo doesn't bother me, any!

Brightest Blessings

4. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    that is soo funny!!!! [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I do not doubt that would happen to me if I didn't have screens on all the windows. I get chickens and ducks wandering into the house ANY time they can find the screen doors not latched. (Well, the ducks - they actually BILL the screen doors to get them open!) The chickens follow me in during the time I expect it to close behind me and when it actually closes. (No auto closer, just a gentle swing to close. The back door screen doesn't do that, so I have to remember to close it. If the dogs nose it open to go out, it stays open and I'll have chickens inside the house, or the two ducks.)

A couple of times I've herded chickens outside, only to discover I'd missed one who wandered, curiously, into the bedroom or around the sofa out of sight. "Birk?" she says to me when I find her. It's usually Betsy the BR.

I do have chickens get up onto the birdbath to look in the living room windows. They'd come right in if there weren't screens!

I'm waiting for somebody - probably the ducks - to figure out the pet door!!

6. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    lol That is just great! I can just picture it in my mind! LOVE IT!!!

7. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    too funny! mine are always trying to dash in the door behind me, and they carefully watch the dog who gets let in whenever she pleases. its so funny to me, when they do manage to sneak in they all run in different directions like a plan to baffle me. then all be damnned once they hit the kitchen floor and slide all over the place as they try to scurry in their perfect little chicken way. I so enjoy having them around, if they didnt poo so much i'd let them wander inside.... and I am NOT willing to do the chicken diaper thing, not my style. mmm love my chickens![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  8. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    [​IMG] That is so funny. They've probably been watching you this whole time, going in and out the house. I guess they thought you were finally inviting them in.

9. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    when mine are free ranging and I don't come out with the treats soon enough.. My roo comes aroung the back of the house and pecks and the door and then crows... (kinda bossy begging if ya ask me) but he takes none for himself... His ladies are 20 feet in back of him with the most hopeful looks on their tiny faces.... I would love to see pics of the party animals you have.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Well, the treat person was inside. You didn't think they were going to miss an opportunity for treats, did ya? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by