Don't want to keep 30 coturnix inside....

coturnix condos

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2016
Vancouver wa
Baby chicks are 2 days old. Do they need to stay in the brooder for 7 weeks has anyone but them in the coop sooner. Maybe if I add a heat lamp for them outside. I'm in the northwest so mild temps. Took a while to convince my husband to keep quail if he has to hear chirping all night he might not be on board much longer

they are fully feathered and can be acclimated to outside at 4 weeks old.

the all night chirping is because of the light (or unfavorable conditions), use an alternative heat source, such as ceramic or coil heaters, and turn off the lights at night, they'll be quiet unless they aren't happy about something. you can also just use a 5w blue or red attractant light at night (you can get these from GQF or eBay if your local lowes/hd doesn't have them.

they are fully feathered and can be acclimated to outside at 4 weeks old.

the all night chirping is because of the light (or unfavorable conditions), use an alternative heat source, such as ceramic or coil heaters, and turn off the lights at night, they'll be quiet unless they aren't happy about something.   you can also just use a 5w blue or red attractant light at night (you can get these from GQF or eBay if your local lowes/hd doesn't have them.

Great I don't need the light I have heat pad caves and it stays at 90 so I will try and shut off the light. Thanks

that's why they are chirping, they are too cold, they need to be at 100 degree from hatch to about day 3, then drop 3-5 degree every week.
with the heat lamp on it's at 95. With just the caves it's 90. I have not turned off the heat lamp. Is 95 too cold for the first week?

some people run at 95 from hatch though the first week, IME that makes weaker chicks as they are using all their reserves to keep warm and they crowd around the heat source to stay warm rather then spread out and actively feeding and exploring.

You don't even need to keep chickens in the brooder for 7 weeks. Turkeys need that much time, but certainly not quail. You can push them to feather out at 3 weeks and get them to handle room temps at that time. Here, right now, 3 weeks isn't enough to get them outside as we've still got snow, but 4 weeks is fine. If they have access to food all the time they can handle the cold better and you shouldn't have any issues with your temps.

I have my heat lamp on a dimmer and I turn it down every 2-3 days. I go by their distribution around the heated area. My food and water are away from the heat, so they are out of the heat often to eat and drink. I did keep the food and water right on the edge of the heated zone for the first 3 days.

You may get a little slower growth as they're using more food for energy (heat) than growing, but If you have a good protein feed, you probably won't notice. Try pushing them out sooner and watch how they do. I'd have a heat lamp ready in the coop in case you need it, but I do think you can coddle them too much just as easily as push them too hard. If they behave fine, they are fine. They'll let you know if they're stressed.

So I did the mamma heat pad in the brooder and they are so happy. They all tuck in at night and and don't make a sound. I actually made 2 of them one is set for 85 degrees and the other is set for 95 to give them some choices. They all preferred the 85. I thought they had all died during the night because they were sleeping so heavy. Thanks for all the feedback. I have one big pile of happy coturnix babies. The husband is even taking to them

So I did the mamma heat pad in the brooder and they are so happy. They all tuck in at night and and don't make a sound. I actually made 2 of them one is set for 85 degrees and the other is set for 95 to give them some choices. They all preferred the 85. I thought they had all died during the night because they were sleeping so heavy. Thanks for all the feedback. I have one big pile of happy coturnix babies. The husband is even taking to them
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom