Don't you think this is sort of mean? ***kind of icky picture***

Pics
Who would do this? Poor thing looks sunburnt already. I know Naked Neck Turkens naturally have bare necks but not their whole body.
There's nothing whatsoever natural about Turkens. They are freaks bred by people from a genetic mutation, because people like breeding freaks of nature (see: dogs and the ridiculous array of shapes they come in). Turkeys have a natural naked neck. Chickens don't.

Half the chickens we have to raise are bred like this. I seriously doubt that wild Cornish and Leghorn walked around before becoming domesticated, let alone the meat birds we purchase to avoid factory farms. Same with probably cochins, silkies and long tailed ornamental breeds. They were selectively bred to fit what was wanted or needed at the time.

Turkens have natural naked necks because they aren't plucked to have them and there wasn't genetic manipulation. Ancestor birds showed this gene and it was reproduced and perfected.

I can see though that I'm probably the only one that sees any if this is okay though so I'm just going to leave

It depends on your definition of “natural”. This fully naked chicken is exactly as natural as a Turken, but it wasn’t nature who shaped it like that - it was people. Nature produces lots of mutations, but not all of them survive. These naked chickens would not survive in nature, so they wouldn’t have even existed without our intentional selection and breeding. I’m sure people could breed elephants down to the size of rats (see the size difference between a great dane and a chihuahua - both the same species). Doesn’t mean it would be natural though.

Back
Top Bottom