Don't you think this is sort of mean? ***kind of icky picture***

I didn't steal it. It's from Google.
That is stealing when you post a picture that does not belong to you without the specific permission of the person that owns the picture.

Google is a search enginge to find things. The photos that show up in Google do not belong to Google.

Last edited:
That is stealing when you post picture that do not belong to you without the specific permission of the person that owns the picture.

Google is a search enginge to find things. The photos that show up in Google do not belong to Google.

Oh. Well, should I remove it? Probably not because then it will confuse people. I won't do it again.

Interesting thread @cluckmecoop7 . Just wanted to let everyone who may be interested know that Joel Salatin, Owner of Polyface, has been innovating this way for almost 40 years. He has a bunch of books on poultry and the food system in general that completely changed my thinking about the food system and the role I can play in it. Two of these titles that really stick out are "Pastured Poultry Profits" and "Folks, this ain't Normal." I highly recommend them. Happy learning everybody. Down with Factory Farming!

Let me tell you the life story of a factory farm hen.
I was hatched in a tray with all my brothers and sisters. I could hear them peeping helplessly around me. I opened my eyes for the first time. It took a second for my eyes to adjust to the darkness. There were so many chicks that looked just like me. Some were just starting to hatch from their shell. It was nice and warm in this dark room. I closed my eyes to take a nap and revive my energy.
Suddenly, there was distressed peeping all around me as the dark room opened up and tall two-legged creatures stood before us. We were all so scared. They reached their big hands inside the room and started grabbing us. We all ran away from these creatures. They grabbed and grabbed. My brothers were taken into another room along with the half hatched out chicks and egg shells. I didn't know it then but all those chicks were ground up alive as if they were nothing more than dirt.
I was grabbed by my foot. They were barely hanging onto me as I was dangling from handful of chicks. I was dumped in a tray with all my sisters.
As we were wheeled down the brightly lit hall I could see those creatures doing the same thing to the chicks that were under us.
My sisters and I ended up in a room with a lot of big boxes. They grabbed of few of my sisters and stuck their head against the side of the boxes. Then I heard a loud click immediately follwed by my sisters squealing in pain. The creatures put them into a second tray, then I could see them. Their beaks were gone. Just a black patch of burnt skin and blood.
Then the creaturea came back for us. It was my turn. My face was pressed against the box and I was held there, waiting for that agonizing click.
CLICK
Searing pain screamed through my beak, or what was left of it. The pain blinded me. I was dropped into the try with the rest of the beakless chicks, listening to the yelping of my sisters only seconds after. I huddled in the corner and closed my eyes.
When I opened them again we were in a large building with millions of other chicks that looked like me. None of them had beaks either. They were all in rows seperated by a fence with red things filled with food that hung from the ceiling.The creatures picked the tray up and dumped us out into an empty row. We cheeped in fright as we tumbled to the ground. Despite the pain I got up and walked to the red thing, a feeder. I walked to the feeder and stuck my head through one of the holes. My sisters copied me and soon we were trying to eat.
The creatures continued to come back, dumping more beakless chicks with us until the row was filled. It was hard to walk through the mass of chicks everywhere.
We stayed there for a while, until we were all adults. We grew rapidly.
One day a whole bunch of two-legged creatures entered the building. Everyone was silent. Not a peep to be heard. They walked up to the pen and started grabbing us and putting us in cages. There was mad hysteria. Chickens were running everywhere. It took several hours until we were all caught and caged up.
We were put on a giant rolling thing that had two teeth that stuck out and could go up and down by themselves. We were stacked on top of each other, cage upon cage.
The wheely thing carried us to yet another building. This one was a long row of cages. Other chickens were in a few up the cages. They were sickly looking with pale combs and dead eyes.
I didnt like it here but I was forced into one of the cages anyways. The cage had solid walls in the back and sides but the front and floor was just wire mesh. Two more chickens were forced into the cage with me. My feet were starting to hurt from the wires already. I turned to look at the wall behind me and noticed a small opening near the bottom and the floor was at a downward angle. I didn't know what that was for until a few weeks later.
There was a sharp pain inside my gut and I felt something hard in me. I pushed and pushed and finally it came out. I turned to look at it but it was already gone. I heard it rolling down through the hole in the wall.
The same thing happened the next day, and the day after that. A sharp pain, I pushed and whatever it was rolled away before I got a good look at it.
The other hens were going through the same thing, so I figured it was natural.
We were fed food in little cups on the side of the cage. It tasted different than the food from before. Now I know it was full of antibiotics and medications. I didn't like it but it was the only thing there.
One day, after I had pushed the thing out of me, a bunch of two-legged creatures, by thise time I learned they were called humans, walked into the building and started grabbing the older hens who had been here for years. The hens were scared, I could see it in their eyes, but they did nothing. The humand carried them away and I never saw those hens again.
Months passed by and the humans were back again. They had new chickens with them. They stuck them in the cages that the older hens had been in. Those new pullets were terrified. They clucked for a while but eventually settled down. Soon they would be like the rest of us. Tired and worn out, sore red feet, missing and torn up feathers, and pushing out hard objects everyday.
I was there for a few years, which seemed like an eternity. I envied those hens that I watched leave and never come back. I wish the humans would take me too. I wanted to be rid of this awful place. Where you walked in your own feces every day.
Then one day my wish came true. The humans came and opened my cage. They took the three of us out of there and carried us out. I closed my eyes in relief. My feet were grateful to be free from those wires.
The humans took us outside. I breathed the fresh air for the first time and I loved it. I wish things could be like this forever.
There was a fence. A dark, old, grungy fence. There were metal cones there, a lot of them, and blood on the fence under them. Dirty white buckets sat under every cone.
The humans stuck us in the cones head down, hugged by the walls. I closed my eyes and was at peace. I could hear the humans walking towards me but I didn't care. I was calm. They grabbed my head and pulled it through the hole at the bottom of the cone. I felt a sharp pain slice my neck and warm blood dripped down my face. I couldn't feel anything.
I opened my eyes. Everything was clear then getting blurrier. My breath was shaky. I took one last look, closed my eyes anf drew in my final breath. Everything went dark. I was finally free.

Last edited:
Actually, these birds were bred for meat birds. They're not meant to be free range, they're kept in climate controlled buildings their whole lives. There a nothing wrong with these birds.
Maybe there is a whole lot wrong with the breeders of such chickens. And also with the people who slaughter and who eat them. 😡 That people can do such thing doesn’t mean there is nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:
I was hatched in a tray with all my brothers and sisters. I could hear them peeping helplessly around me. I opened my eyes for the first time. It took a second for my eyes to adjust to the darkness. There were so many chicks that looked just like me. Some were just starting to hatch from their shell. It was nice and warm in this dark room. I closed my eyes to take a nap and revive my energy.
Suddenly, there was distressed peeping all around me as the dark room opened up and tall two-legged creatures stood before us. We were all so scared. They reached their big hands inside the room and started grabbing us. We all ran away from these creatures. They grabbed and grabbed. My brothers were taken into another room along with the half hatched out chicks and egg shells. I didn't know it then but all those chicks were ground up alive as if they were nothing more than dirt.
I was grabbed by my foot. They were barely hanging onto me as I was dangling from handful of chicks. I was dumped in a tray with all my sisters.
As we were wheeled down the brightly lit hall I could see those creatures doing the same thing to the chicks that were under us.
My sisters and I ended up in a room with a lot of big boxes. They grabbed of few of my sisters and stuck their head against the side of the boxes. Then I heard a loud click immediately follwed by my sisters squealing in pain. The creatures put them into a second tray, then I could see them. Their beaks were gone. Just a black patch of burnt skin and blood.
Then the creaturea came back for us. It was my turn. My face was pressed against the box and I was held there, waiting for that agonizing click.
CLICK
Searing pain screamed through my beak, or what was left of it. The pain blinded me. I was dropped into the try with the rest of the beakless chicks, listening to the yelping of my sisters only seconds after. I huddled in the corner and closed my eyes.
Wheb I opened them again we were in a large building with millions of other chicks that looked like me. None of them had beaks either. They were all in rows seperated by a fence with red things filled with food that hung from the ceiling.The creatures picked the tray up and dumped us out into an empty row. We cheeped in fright as we tumbled to the ground. Despite the pain I got up and walked to the red thing, a feeder. I walked to the feeder and stuck my head through one of the holes. My sisters copied me and soon we were trying to eat.
The creatures continued to come back, dumping more beakless chicks with us until the row was filled. It was hard to walk through the mass of chicks everywhere.
One day a whole bunch of two-legged creatures entered the building. Everyone was silent. Not a peep to be heard. They walked up to the pen and started grabbing us and putting us in cages. There was mad hysteria. Chickens were running everywhere. It took several hours until we were all caught and caged up.
We were put on a giant rolling thing that had two teeth that stuck out and could go up and down by themselves. We were stacked on top of each other, cage upon cage.
The wheely thing carried us to yet another building. This one was a long row of cages. Other chickens were in a few up the cages. They were sickly looking with pale combs and dead eyes.
I didnt like it here but I was forced into one of the cages anyways. The cage had solid walls in the back and sides but the front and floor was just wire mesh. Two more chickens were forced into the cage with me. My feet were starting to hurt from the wires already. I turned to look at the wall behind me and noticed a small opening near the bottom and the floor was at a downward angle. I didn't know what that was for until a few weeks later.
There was a sharp pain inside my gut and I felt something hard in me. I pushed and pushed and finally it came out. I turned to look at it but it was already gone. I heard it rolling down through the hole in the wall.
The same thing happened the next day, and the day after that. A sharp pain, I pushed and whatever it was rolled away before I got a good look at it.
We were fed food in little cups on the side of the cage. It tasted different than the food from before. Now I know it was full of antibiotics and medications. I didn't like it but it was the only thing there.
One day, after I had pushed the thing out of me, a bunch of two-legged creatures, by thise time I learned they were called humans, walked into the building and started grabbing the older hens who had been here for years. The hens were scared, I could see it in their eyes, but they did nothing. The humand carried them away and I never saw those hens again.
Months passed by and the humans were back again. They had new chickens with them. They stuck them in the cages that the older hens had been in. Those new pullets were terrified. They clucked for a while but eventually settled down. Soon they would be like the rest of us. Tired and worn out, sore red feet, missing and torn up feathers, and pushing out hard objects everyday.
I was there for a few years, which seemed like an eternity. I envied those hens that I watched leave and never come back. I wish the humans would take me too. I wanted to be rid of this awful place. Where you walked in your own feces every day.
Then one day my wish came true. The humans came and opened my cage. They took the three of us out of there and carried us out. I closed my eyes in relief. My feet were grateful to be free from those wires.
The humans took us outside. I breathed the fresh air for the first time and I loved it. I wish things could be like this forever.
There was a fence. A dark, old, grungy fence. There were metal cones there, a lot of them, and blood on the fence under them. Dirty white buckets sat under every cone.
The humans stuck us in the cones head down, hugged by the walls. I closed my eyes and was at peace. I could hear the humans walking towards me but I didn't care. I was calm. They grabbed my head and pulled it through the hole at the bottom of the cone. I felt a sharp pain slice my neck and warm blood dripped down my face. I couldn't feel anything.
I opened my eyes. Everything was clear then getting blurrier. My breath was shaky. I took one last look, closed my eyes anf drew in my final breath. Everything went dark. I was finally free.
That's great writing on your part but is also terribly sad :hit

It's really horrible how they bred that chicken, even if they are for meat. It's just not right.

CLICK
When I opened them again we were in a large building with millions of other chicks that looked like me. None of them had beaks either. They were all in rows seperated by a fence with red things filled with food that hung from the ceiling.The creatures picked the tray up and dumped us out into an empty row. We cheeped in fright as we tumbled to the ground. Despite the pain I got up and walked to the red thing, a feeder. I walked to the feeder and stuck my head through one of the holes. My sisters copied me and soon we were trying to eat.

This almost made me cry. Honestly, it's terrible what they do to these poor chickens.

Back
Top Bottom