Door Latch Ideas Needed

rsimpson

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 20, 2010
Colfax, WI
I'm looking for people door latch ideas.

I'm in the mood for building my own latch.

Does anyone have pictures of home/hand built latches they've built?

I'm in need of ideas.

Thanks. Randy

Last edited:
I Don't have a picture at the moment but a friend put a screw into a short 2x4 or similar sized peice of wood that was longer than it was wide and screwed it loosely to the wall then when the door was closed he turned the peice of wood(should be tight enough not to spin on its on.) and that held the door closed. I have a similar one holding the removable wall of my coop. Will try to get pictures when I put the girls up.

i have 3 latches on my human door!

sorry for the sideways pic. please rotate your computer lol

DSC03010.jpg

Here's a pic of the door in need of a latch.

It's got just a little latch hook on it now, but there's no chickens in the coop right now.

Last edited:
the most important thing is to make it predator proof!

and if your in a urban area like me then you should make it people proof also.

Quote:
On my BYC page, the pic of the front on my coop, you can see my homemade latch. What you can't see, is that I embebbed a washer on the underside of the rotating stick and a carriage bolt head through the wall. This makes a "click" and hold point when I turn the latch closed. The washer rides over and sets onto the carriage bolt head. The stick can rotate 360 degrees, the door is held closed by weight and pulley with a rope.
The gate to the run also uses a rotating stick (2"X2"x 8"), But I just used protruding nails to limit the travel of the stick 90 degrees from vertical on the gate post to horizontal when holding the gate closed. I also put a screendoor type spring on the chicken run gate so it closes when I'm inside and will bang open when I'm shoving a fully loaded wheelbarrow of garden fertilizer out, then close behind me without me having to stop once I got my momentum up.

Our latches work great now, but I dunno if they will be much fun once it gets snowy.

We used hanger bolts (one end is a wood screw and the other is a machine screw) and after the wood screw was attached, put a butterfly nut on the other end. So far it has befuddled at least one raccoon.

Back
Top Bottom