Dora is gone

This morning, I went out to feed the goats and everybody came out to eat except Dora. She was a doeling when I got her four years ago after all my original goats had passed away. She was aDORAble, hence her name. She was a miniature and part fainter, totally beautiful and sweet.

I found her in the goat house, with her head twisted behind her. I suspect Jack, one of the wethers who likes to hit her and make her fall down. I grabbed a garbage bag and was bringing her inside the house to put her in the freezer. She was still warm, but there was no visible breathing movement.

As I got her to the kitchen door, an ear twitched and I checked for a blink reflex. Thank God I didn't put her in the freezer still alive. But I knew she was in really bad shape. The vet was here in less than an hour --which is pretty good for a rural call. She agreed that Dora's heartbeat and breathing made it unlikely she would recover, and my sweet little girl was relieved of her suffering.

I am heartbroken.
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit
my heart is with you. That really is awful, heartbreaking, and upsetting. I’m so sorry for this loss, but I am very glad you decided to end her suffering. A goat loss is a hard thing to go through- especially one as unnatural as this. Doras place May be filled in the goat yard, but she will never be replaced ❤️

When the vet clinic opens this morning, I will pick up Dora's cremains and bury her here, next to the pasture where she spent most of her life. I miss her.
I am just now seeing this thread, I am so sorry about your Dora. :hugs These critters sure get entangled in our hearts and its painful to let go. I hope your heavy heart heals soon. :hugs

I am so sorry. My heart breaks for you.

Over the past couple of years we’ve had to put down two of the three goats we adopted from a family who was moving. I’d had no experience with goats, but I caught on quickly that they are some of the dearest, most personable creatures on earth. I fell in love, and so I know that you were, too, in love with your Dora. We are so lucky to have shared time and space with these incredible animals. May your memories of Dora be a bright spot in the days to come.

Back
Top Bottom