Dorkings?

walkswithdog

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 17, 2008
DC Region
I was cruising our BYC lists. Alaska has dorkings but Alaska to TN is some rather serious shipping danger. I was considering eggs because I just got an incubator and am now insane. Perhaps chicks make more sense?

Who else has them, grey or red, rose or single?

I'm just considering adding a few to compare with black rangers, and dark cornish. Want to do some comparison and record keeping, cost etc.

I could just buy rangers but I want to take a look at it for myself. It is all in the records and in the actual birds. What do I want to live with, work with?

All info appreciated.

Oh I think they're handsome. I'm interested in eggs or chicks they're not a simple breed to find.

I plan on having in a few of them to judge for myself what they're like compared to some others.

First black broilers and Dark Cornish. Then Dorkings. Then Delawares. Sort out what I do and don't like. What actual times/wts and feed conversion works out to be on my land, in my setup.

I don't like the cornish crosses, whatever the outcome. Ugh. Won't ever do that again.

So I figured on some research. In order to see about dorkings I need to find some first.

And then there's this new incubator on the way and it's all BYC's fault - enablers. so I thought I'd get around to asking.

Hi- Try www.blackdiamondranch.com located in Deborgia, MT. Still a ways from you but closer then Alaska. The site is mostly for the dude ranch business and can be a little busy/confusing but find a contact info and you should be able to find some Dorking eggs to hatch.

Nice people.
smile.png

I agree... that's where I got the eggs that hatched my Duke.
smile.png
He is a GORGEOUS silver grey, and Jeanne is such a wonderful person.
love.gif

There are a couple of other people here on BYC, too... Yogiman, Wolf-kim, Zookeeper9000...
Good luck!!!
smile.png

I am glad you found it despite my initial "off" website link. Keep us informed!

It's going to be interesting to have a straight up comparison of dark cornish and dorkings from egg to meat and lay.

Thank you for all the help. Looking forward to being terrified for 18-21 days with the rest of you chicken addicts.

I figure with chickens as with dogs. Read all you want, the proof is in the animals themselves not what's been written. What I know is that cornish crosses didn't make me happy.

Should be an eye opener. I've got my chicken note book all set up for meaties. The layers book is separate.

Thanks again... Chere aka walkswithdog - this dog
IMG_1463_1-1.jpg

I'm not familiar with the dark cornishes, but I can tell you that the Dorkings are slow to develop. Their meat is paler than what we're used to seeing at the store, and their eggs are the prettiest pastel tint. Another is that they tend to brood in packs... if one gets broody, WHAM! all of them are broody. A couple of times I tried to get eggs from someone, only to find out that when it was my turn, they'd all gone broody and weren't laying.
sad.png
But, they are beautiful birds. The roos look like the traditional rooster, and all of mine are so friendly. I can't wait for them to start laying! It took me all summer just to get the ones I have.

Back
Top Bottom