Dosage for Wazine 17

Pics
There is no genetic resistance to intestinal worms in regard to chickens. The previous articles linked by centrarchid do not support any evidence of this except in mammals. The last three links supported evidence of resistance to certain Cocci protozoa, not intestinal worms. Susceptibility to intestinal worms are determined by environmental conditions as this article from the University of Florida IFAS Extension clearly states:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm015
Prevention and control of worm infestations in backyard poultry flocks involves proper management of diet, sanitation, and treatment. Chickens need a proper diet, especially an adequate supply of vitamins A and the B complex. A deficiency in these has been shown to increase the susceptibility to parasitism.
  1. Thorough removal of litter between flocks of chickens.
  2. Keep litter as dry as possible.
  3. Avoid overcrowding.
  4. Keep wild birds, pigeons and other birds away from chickens. They may be infected and shedding the worm eggs.
  5. Provide adequate drainage of ranges and move shelters frequently to decrease accumulation of droppings.
  6. Keep birds off freshly plowed ground where ingestion of earthworms and other insects is more likely.
  7. Use insecticides to control insect populations.
The treatment of chickens to control intestinal parasites can benefit the grower by decreasing parasite levels in heavily infected birds. This will result in a decrease in the build-up of parasite eggs in the environment. Specific worm infections require specific medications. A determination of which worms are affecting your chickens should be made by your veterinarian prior to treatment. Proper use of medication in combination with sound management and sanitation practices should limit production losses from intestinal worms.

I wouldn't suggest regularly spraying insecticides all over the poultry yard, but I would recommend keeping grass cut short and pruning back brush. The less inviting the habitat for vectors of intestinal worms, the better off the flock will be. To simply cull fowl that end up with an infestation, as centrarchid suggests, is just poor husbandry. Flock owners will eventually have to deal with this at some point, and proper management and treatment will bring years of enjoyment of flock raising.

This is what the instructions say:

Source: http://valleyvet.naccvp.com/index.php?m=product_view_basic&u=country&p=msds&id=1012002
For best results, remove water in the evening (except during hot weather). Then, early the next morning, begin water medicated with Wazine-17. Provide medicated water only, distributed in waterers sufficient in number so that all birds or animals have access to water. The medicated water should be consumed in 1 day or less. Worming every 30 days is necessary to break the large roundworm life cycle.

TURKEYS - Under 12 weeks of age: for each 100 birds, use 2 fluid ounces (60 ml) of Wazine-17 in 2 U.S. gallons (7.6 liters) of drinking water.
Over 12 weeks of age: for each 100 birds, use 4 fluid ounces (120 ml) of Wazine-17 in 4 U.S. gallons (15 liters) of drinking water.
Worm turkeys at 4-6 weeks of age and thereafter at 30 days, or as needed.
CHICKENS - 4 to 6 weeks of age: for each 100 birds, use 1 fluid ounce (30 ml) of Wazine-17 in 1 U.S. gallon (3.8 liters) of drinking water.
Over 6 weeks of age: for each 100 birds, use 2 fluid ounces (60 ml) of Wazine-17 in 2 U.S. gallons (7.6 liters) of drinking water.
Treat broilers at 4 weeks of age and thereafter at 30 days, or as needed. Treat replacement pullets at 8, 12, and 16 weeks of age.

1 liquid ounce = 30ml = 2 tablespoons

-Kathy

@dawg53 should I seperate out my 6 week old chicks from everyone else when I do the wazine in the morn?
I also have some youn bantam and 4 monthish standard size? It's all same dosage I guess

You can treat all of them. Start with 3 teaspoons of wazine per gallon of water for 24 hours. Then in 10-14 days redose 6 teaspoons wazine per gallon of water. Remember when using wazine treated water, it must be their sole source of water to drink.

I have read that I can treat the 2nd time with another broad spectrum like valbazen in 10 days. If i do this will I need to repeat again 10 days later to get the other little wormy critters( that aren't roundworms) for a second time. Or is once with wazine and once with valbazen sufficient?

big_smile.png

This time it's once with wazine, and once with valbazen.
When you decide to worm again in the future, forget the wazine and just use valbazen. Then redose with it again in 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom