dosage for worming my very small flock

Waddling_Wamplers

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 21, 2011
I was given some Wazine-17 for worming my flock, but the lowest dosage is for "Each 100 birds", being 1oz. per 1gallon of water, I only need to worm my 4 outside hens... will putting an entire gallon of mixture in the coop harm my hens???? HELP!!!
hu.gif

The doseage is 2T or 1 fluid ounce or 30 ml per gallon of water. If you're only dosing 4 birds you can divide it all by 4, they shouldn't need more than a quart of water in one day.

Try 1.5 teaspoons per quart of water. Take away their water the night before so they'll wake up thirsty. Then keep them confined the whole day so that the only water they drink will be the medicated water. They don't need to drink up the entire quart, however much they drink during that day will be sufficient for them.

Don't eat their eggs, don't even feed them back to them, for 4-7 days.

Quote:
The dosage is the same for 1 bird or 100 birds. If you dont think your hens will drink 1 gallon of water in 24 hours, cut the dosage in half...1/2 ounce per 2 quarts of water. I dont recommend doing that especially if it's hot where you live. Put the medicated water out for them first thing in the morning before you let them out. They will be thirsty when they first leave their house and will want to drink and eat. It must be their sole source of water to drink for 24 hours, then discard it and replace with regular freshwater.
ETA; the recommended slaughter withdrawal period is 14 days. If the chicken is good to eat after the 14th day, so are the eggs.

Last edited:
To answer your original question, no, it wouldn't hurt them to put an entire gallon of the treated water in the coop with them, but it would just waste more of the medicine. They'll still just drink however much they need to satisfy their thirst. If you filled a gallon container with the treated water, they'd just drink as much as they were thirsty for, and no more.

Back
Top Bottom