dosing for deworming chickens

chickgma

Songster
10 Years
May 20, 2012
Hi! Anyone ever use fenbendazole pellets for chickens? I have a sick girl whose vent is swollen and very smelly. She has feathers missing too. I have given her a warm bath in that area and noticed worms. I bought these pellets as that's what tsc had. Dosing is for huge amounts of feed. I have 6 hens. I imagine they all have worms if one does. Also the sick one isn't eating or drinking but did poop. I have her in the house now. Any help with dosing or opinions about what else may be wrong would be appreciated!!!

Pictures? I suspect the worms you are talking about are maggots.
I think they may be cecal worms. I need to know how to dose fenbendazole pellets for 6 chickens
Pictures? I suspect the worms you are talking about are maggots.
I think they may be cecal worms. I need to know how to dose fenbendazole pellets for 6 chickens . Here’s a picture of my poor girls backside

Attachments

• 49D7BABF-BFA9-4F8E-8A90-08F8A8711752.jpeg
    49D7BABF-BFA9-4F8E-8A90-08F8A8711752.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 38
I would agree that it is likely maggot infestation or flystrike. It happens when a vent is poopy or there is a wound in hot weather, and flies lay eggs. It can be deadly if the maggots enter the body, so soaking her in soapy warm water, Epsom salts, or a disinfectant such as chlorhexidene or Betadine would be needed. Repeat soaks several times a day, remove any maggots with tweezers if they don’t float on the water, until all stop hatching out. Here is a good article about flystrike:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Back
Top Bottom