Dot has no beak.

As beaks are built with bone, I would suggest raising her calcium levels a bit. No idea how much. I'm quite shocked by her short beak, I've never heard of such a thing! But it looks fine, not like an injury at all, more like she shed the beak, like a rooster will sometimes shed his spurs. That is totally strange! Even though I have no experience (in this instance) to draw on, I think it will grow back out, only because there doesn't appear to have been any trauma. So hopefully you won't have to keep her separated for long.

Oh, I just re-read... it's been 4 weeks and you can't see any new growth? Yikes. It may grow slowly, very very slowly, I don't know. But as long as she can eat, she should be alright. Is she a sussex?

Last edited:
Dot is doing very well. She heels like a dog and completely freaks out my 2 year old grandson by her constantcy of heeling. The other day, all the hens were out of their yard and I fed her ruby red quinio and she fought off the other chickens like a roo! She does roost at the top of the coop. I thought that meant she was dominant. I check weekly for growth. It looks like it is growing very very very slowly. Or it is my high expectations.

I had a debeaked hen, her bottom beak was alot longer than her top, and she was always nice and plump and clean. I made sure the feed and water were deep. She, too, was alpha hen even tho you never saw her scold anyone. And she brooded and hatched a few chicks as well.

I think your hen can do well as she is. They adapt real well. And sounds like your hen has status because she roosts at the top. I would try just leaving her to eat crumbles, and be with the flock. You can always take her out if she's picked on or getting skinny.

If you can treat her like she's normal, she will think she's normal, and you will never have to tell her that she's different.

They are both beautiful and unique!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom