Dot has no beak.

javaux

Chirping
Mar 10, 2012
I don't know what happened. Her beak had one small sliver that I cut off so she could eat. I make her gruel to eat and she devours it. It even looks like she can peck a little, unless that is just a habit. I can't find any information on chicken lips. Will her beak grow back? Have you ever heard of this? It has been 4 weeks and I don't see any growth.

It's my understanding that the younger the bird, the better chance it has of growing its beak back. Really young..like less than a couple of months. Other than that - I don't know....

Sounds like a birth defect but you are a bit short on details here. You aren't finding information about chicken lips because chickens don't have lips. They have a beak. Was it injured? Debeaked? You say it had a sliver. You mean that's all the beak it ever had? just one small sliver? Top or bottom? Or both?

I don't know what happened. Her beak had one small sliver that I cut off so she could eat. I make her gruel to eat and she devours it. It even looks like she can peck a little, unless that is just a habit. I can't find any information on chicken lips. Will her beak grow back? Have you ever heard of this? It has been 4 weeks and I don't see any growth.

Can you post a pic please? It is natural instinct in chickens to peck for food, picking/pecking, preening etc...

I think you should take it to a vet either to see if anything can be done or just put the poor thing out of its misery..

She was the biggest hen. Her beak was fine and then one day all she had left was a sliver. She does eat and drink. I will post pictures after work. She is thinner. I put gruel out in 5 different places so she can eat and not get picked on. Right. Chickens don't have lips. I was attempting humor. Please be kind. I am cautious about forums because they seem to be harsh on the persons with questions.

Back
Top Bottom