Double Calcium Laying Pellet

smith2

Songster
14 Years
Jan 5, 2008
Paris, TN
Do any of the feed companies make a higher calcium laying pellet/crumble? My older hens need the extra calcium and they won't eat the oyster shell pellets. I wish someone would make a higher calcium laying pellet for older hens. Any ideas about how to get calcium down them. I have about 50 laying hens so please don't say yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. It would take a truck load! Can you buy a calcium powder anywhere that I could mix into the feed or into sometype of mush and give it to them that way?

You could crush up your used egg shells on give it to them free choice. If you have 50 hens I would guess you eat a fair amount of eggs. I boil the shells before crushing so they don't get icky. Often times when we make noodles, I boil the shells, let them dry, crush and store in a bag in the freezer for use as needed.

Quote:
Why do you think that the older hen needs more calcium?
Layer feed should plenty of calcium in it for them. ( unless you are feeding a lot of treat that are throwing off there regular layer feed..)
If you are getting soft shell eggs it could be that she has a Vitamin D deficiency..

Vitamin D deficiency occurs worldwide in poultry of all ages. It is caused by a deficiency of vitamin D3 in the diet. Vitamin D3 is needed for proper Ca and P metabolism and in the formation of normal skeleton.

* Ca = Calcium
P = Phosphorus *

Chris

Back
Top Bottom