Here are some pics for you:

From Storey's Illustrated guide

14596_featherpatterns.jpg

Here's a project I'm working to improve

14596_lacer.jpg

and here's a shot of my Chanteclers

14596_chantehen.jpg

14596_chantepen.jpg

Just ignore Goliath in the middle of the Chante pen. He's a temporary guest because the banties were beating him up
roll.png

Henk:

I'm hoping to have some chocolate gene to work with soon, and it will take me a decade to mimic your platinum, but how shall I start, given I'll likely be starting with only the Golden Lakenvelders I have now and solid Blue & Chocolate Orps to gain those diluters? I know it'll take forever...

Last edited:
Don't know if I exactly agree with some of the terms and pictures used on the color wheel there. Double laced for example.

Quote:
There are Columbian neck feathers on the top part of the DL pic, but the DL is under that.

No I get the neck feathers, the body feathers look to me to be silver penciled, not double laced. I always thought double lacing was what you found on dark cornish, or barnevelders.

Quote:
There are Columbian neck feathers on the top part of the DL pic, but the DL is under that.

No I get the neck feathers, the body feathers look to me to be silver penciled, not double laced. I always thought double lacing was what you found on dark cornish, or barnevelders.

I agree with Big Medicine here.

Quote:
Must warn you. People will not be thát interested in them.
But if you must: use dun instead of sexlinked chocolate.
Best make blue and dun versions of your golden lakenvelder separately.
The method is the same:
Cross lakenvelder to a "carrier" of blue or dun.
Backcross a blue/dun crossling to lakenvelder, repeat.
If you have silver and gold in the mix try to use a rooster with the desired groundcolor.

If you want to use sexlinked chocolate, you have to keep track of your hidden chocolate gene.
This keeps me from making sexlinked chocolate lakenvelders...
wink.png

But then, I am lazy...

Another warning. In a lot of topics I read people's preference for true=sexlinked chocolate over dun, but I suspect that dun is a superior colorgene. Chocolate serama often show similar lacing and flecking as blue chickens do. This could also be due to the extra serama genes.
Sexlinked chocolate and blue combined probably have a same coloreffect as blue+dun = khaki looking. But if my "worries" come true it would be more uneven.

Quote:

I agree with Big Medicine here.

Ihad posted earlier on post 21 that double lacing was like what was seen on Dark Brahma, SP Rocks, and SP Wyandottes the color chart that Chookschick posted on here was what I was going by but never figured out how tho get it uploaded on here as I've got the computer skills of a jack@$$ anyway I later saw on a another thread the pattern I thought was double laced is actually called concentric lacing, correct? and the chicken wing lacing in the original ? is wide lacing, right? then what is the feather pattern on partridge females called and last but not least on the pattern chart posted above is the autosomal barring pictured as penciling right or no?

I'm not trying to open a can of worms here but seem like theres some disagreement brought up here so lets figure it out
big_smile.png

I have found another feather pattern chart in another book that I know for sure is wrong and as soon as I can figure out how to scan and upload it from the book I'll post it on here also.

catdaddy

I agree that there is inconsistency in the terms folks use for various patterns. I have often been confused by the patterns and what descriptions may term as double-penciled, etc.

I have multiple books from multiple authors (and regions or countries, even!) that term things in a way that confuses me...so I, too would prefer it if we could all agree what ought to be called penciled, laced, double-laced...

Has anyone got a good single source for images that seem correct?

Back
Top Bottom