Double yoked breed!!

kaankboom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 17, 2012
I recently returned from a holiday in turkey, and i was staying at my uncles house and he has a cage full of chicken that lay only double yoked eggs. Does anyone know what breed of chicken it is?

You don't get double yoke laying breeds - it's probally just a genetic fault that he/ the person he got if from bred out.

You can't really get a double-yolked breed, since double yolked eggs won't hatch. I suppose you could come up with a cross of some kind that resulted in hens that lay all double yolked eggs, but that's where the line would die out.

You can't really get a double-yolked breed, since double yolked eggs won't hatch. I suppose you could come up with a cross of some kind that resulted in hens that lay all double yolked eggs, but that's where the line would die out.

Double yoked eggs can hatch actually - I had it happen with mine once with no assistance, it's just that there can be alot of problems with the chicks size and while it didn't happen with mine they often need assistance out of the shell. It's not very often that people have sucessful hatching, I think mine only hatched because they were under a broody hen who is much more of an expert on these things than I am.
Obviously though, it isn't practicle, which is why they aren't known to the chicken world.

Back
Top Bottom