Conversations Layer overachiever or Problem, help please? Olive Egger Eggs

Eggcentric NanaJ

Nanna's Eggcentric Laybrary & Eggcademy
Premium Feather Member
Feb 9, 2023
Metro Portland, OR
This is my first-time raising chickens on my own. My Grandmothers raised them, and my sister has them now too. I have all new layers. They are 24 weeks old, and some have been laying for about 4 weeks. Henerietta has been laying Olive smaller beautiful. yummy eggs. Yesterday and today, she laid HUGE eggs, and both had double yokes. Should I be worried or give her extra hugs and cuddles with some extra treats??

Attachments

• Henrietta.jpg
    Henrietta.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 59
  • Henrietta 1.jpg
    Henrietta 1.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Henrietta 2.jpg
    Henrietta 2.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 11
No worries. No need for cuddlehugs, treats should be kept to a minimum for the healthiest chickens.
Thank you! I have been cutting up fruit from my trees (apples, pears, plums), scrap vegies from my garden and giving them about 2-3 cups for the 14 chickens daily. Is this too much?

This is my first-time raising chickens on my own. My Grandmothers raised them, and my sister has them now too. I have all new layers. They are 24 weeks old, and some have been laying for about 4 weeks. Henerietta has been laying Olive smaller beautiful. yummy eggs. Yesterday and today, she laid HUGE eggs, and both had double yokes. Should I be worried or give her extra hugs and cuddles with some extra treats??
Early layers often lay double yolks. I wouldn't worry. But extra hugs, cuddles, and treats are always appreciated.

Thank you, I just want to do what is best for them. It has been such a great experience from building their coup, (run is still not completed) to raising them from 2-day old chicks. BYC has been a huge wealth of information and assistance. I can't imagine how many sleepless nights I would have had without this resource.

Thank you! I have been cutting up fruit from my trees (apples, pears, plums), scrap vegies from my garden and giving them about 2-3 cups for the 14 chickens daily. Is this too much?
I would cut back to about weekly, or monthly on that treat amount.

Back
Top Bottom