double yokes

Tracyfeltsmills

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
My Golden Comets have begun laying but one girl has a double yoker every other day,Can she keep doing that. it's been twice now! certainly not a problem but she is the only one and they are very big!

I have had RIRs and Barred Rocks through the years that would lay one or two double yokes a week. If you have a hen that is laying them on a regular basis, I think you can expect her to continue until she lays out.

If you have a hen that is laying them on a regular basis, I think you can expect her to continue until she lays out.

A newbie curiosity question: I've read that hens are born with all the eggs they will ever lay. Do double yolk-ers count as 2 eggs?​

We got a lot of double yolkers for a while when ours first started laying, but they eventually stopped. They're just about 13 months old now, and we haven't had a double in months. I'll be interested to see if our second batch (currently 14 weeks old) start out laying doubles the same way.

I have read somewhere that it is more common when they start laying.... I had a jersey hen that when she first laid had a triple yolk.... (rest her soul.. she died young of what appeared to be a heart attack.....
sad.png

All true. When you think about it, chickens are a lot like humans when it comes to reproduction. They do have all of their egg cells, like we do and let one cell out per 24 hrs, instead of 28 days like us. Anyway, in young pullets, before their reproductive system has settled down, sometimes they release two egg cells, and they get coated as one egg in the tract as it moves through. Just like we might release two cells that may result in twins...

Not part of this question, but whenever people ask if you need a rooster for eggs, I always tell them no, just like a woman releases an egg every month whether a man is around or not
lol.png

Just like us humans, the cycles can be weird sometimes.
barnie.gif

WOW, my hens (which started laying in Oct) are laying tons of double yolkers. I was very surprised by this.

My 6 month old Aussies have been laying for nearly 2 months. I have collected almost a dozen double yolkers from them, and am saving them for some extra special deviled eggs for Thanksgiving.
I will be sorry when they "outgrow" this habit, as they are quite nifty, but it has to be hard to lay such big eggs, poor girls!
Plus, it will mean more individual-yolk eggs!

Brightest Blessings!!!

Rachel'sFlock :

My 6 month old Aussies have been laying for nearly 2 months. I have collected almost a dozen double yolkers from them, and am saving them for some extra special deviled eggs for Thanksgiving.
I will be sorry when they "outgrow" this habit, as they are quite nifty, but it has to be hard to lay such big eggs, poor girls!
Plus, it will mean more individual-yolk eggs!

Brightest Blessings!!!

That's a great idea about saving them for Thanksgiving - great for conversation. Who couldn't smile when they see a double yolk deviled egg!!! You should post pics!​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom