Double yolk eggs of any kind wanted

Erka97

Chirping
Mar 30, 2017
Hello.
I am currently setting up an experiment on the survivability of double yolked eggs, as I am a biology student. Therefore, I am in need of as many double yolked eggs as I can find of any species.
I'll pay for them, but hopefully less than normal since they're not usually used for hatching and are pretty unlikely to actually hatch out.
I'd also like to hear about hatching eggs for any interesting kind of chicken, duck, turkey, or whatever other bird people might have. I'm a bit addicted to hatching strange things.. My current strangest is an emu; hatched last May, already bigger than me when he wants to be!

That's strange to me, since they are usually thrown away anyway [or eaten] and they're very unlikely to actually hatch. Still, I'll talk payment with whoever offers any and work that out.

I had to pay more for my possibly twin emu eggs.. 55$ each, but then again they're emus and I had to compete with both other hatchers and people wanting the eggs for art. Here's a picture of my current possible twin
51814859_1487544481376062_8671963987702710272_n.png

I'm looking for some with thinner shells, though, so I can better observe development. Also, 55$ per egg is pretty steep a price for a college student trying to hatch what would usually be considered "miracle chicks."

I have a 6-month old Silver Appleyard which has laid four double yolk eggs in the past month. This last egg was the size of a goose egg. I usually eat the egg but have decided to try my hand at hatching this one just to see . . .

I have a 6-month old Silver Appleyard which has laid four double yolk eggs in the past month. This last egg was the size of a goose egg. I usually eat the egg but have decided to try my hand at hatching this one just to see . . .
Typically, there's not enough room in the shell for both embryos to develop to hatching maturity. One or both embryos die.

Understand. Thank you for your reply. Wondering, if any of the hatchlings live, would they lay double yolk eggs when they begin laying?

Got everything needed to make an incubator today. When I got home, there was ANOTHER double yolk duck egg! Now there are TWO I'm trying to incubate. Wish us well.

\o/ HalleluYAH! I choose to think positive!

I have had Double Yolkers in the incubator (due to bad candler I missed it) and only one embryo developed, but the 2nd yolk spoils and the one Embryo usually died during lock down and sometimes even after a pip. So its more than just a space issue, its also a rotting yolk issue.

I would gladly give away my fertile double yolkers (getting a lot of them as breeding flock just matured started laying) but I won't mail any, you would have to live near me in Salisbury NC.

Thanks for your response but, I'm NOT looking for double yolkers. I have a Silver Appleyard that lays double yolk eggs with regularity. I've built an incubator from directions I got on line. Only in my 3rd day. So far, so good.

Was reading that turning the eggs 5-6 times a day & misting them - keeping the humidity up to 50% the 1st 25 days then 75% until hatching - increases the chances for the little quackers. Although there's a small container of water in the incubator, I put a very moist paper towel on the opposite side of the incubator when the humidity begins to run a little low & leave a slit at the top of the incubator for ventilation. So far, the temp & humidity has been PERFECT. We'll see. We can only try, eh?

Been getting lots of different opinions from a number of different 'experts'. One of them stated that hens or ducks that lay double yolk eggs usually only do it for a short period after they first begin laying although some DO lay double yolks their entire life.

In 3 years I've only had ONE double egg from my Ameraucanas but have gotten 7 double yolk duck eggs from one of the ducks since they began laying 2 months ago. So . . . maybe all the excitement is a little premature.

Was wondering . . . if a duck from a double yolk egg did survive, would it lay exclusively double yolk eggs? $54,000 question. :)

Understand. Thank you for your reply. Wondering, if any of the hatchlings live, would they lay double yolk eggs when they begin laying?

Got everything needed to make an incubator today. When I got home, there was ANOTHER double yolk duck egg! Now there are TWO I'm trying to incubate. Wish us well.

\o/ HalleluYAH! I choose to think positive!
What was the outcome of your two dbl yolkers?

Back
Top Bottom