Double yolk or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hot Chick, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Hot Chick

Hot Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

We got some eggs to hatch today and one looks like a double yolk and tips on how to hatch it?[​IMG]

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Most don't recommend incubating double yolkers because they seldom live through hatch.

3. Hot Chick

Hot Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Before I set a clutch I cull out the unusually large eggs and the unusually small eggs. Huge eggs never hatch and small eggs produce small chicks that have a failure to compete with the rest of the hatchmates.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Candle the egg and you will likely be able to tell if it is or is not actually double yolked. If it is, it is not advisable - arguably irresponsible - to set it. Even if the egg is not double yolked, it's size and shape would dissuade me from setting the egg. You really want to pick those eggs with the "perfect" egg shape and size for setting.

6. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Did you buy them? Not very good if you did, there is a thread on here somewhere about someone who tried to hatch one but but chances are tiny if not nil you would succeed, most attempts end in tears and dead in shell chicks. if you bought these you should have been given eggs with a better chance of hatching.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Also a good point - someone distributing eggs for hatching ought to be familiar with the selection of eggs for hatching and distributing responsibly.

8. maranfarmer563

maranfarmer563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    northern Pennsylvania
    I hatch lots of eggs,I always try to hatch all my double yolkers. So far no luck. I actually have one in the incubator now. I'm doing a dry hatch this year. Will see if this makes any difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by