Double-yolker Freaks??!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FlockEweFarm, Aug 9, 2008.

1. FlockEweFarm

FlockEweFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Flagstaff,AZ
    My chickens have just started laying, in fact, out of 37 hens, I only am getting around 3-5 eggs a day. I recently got my first green eggs from one of my EE gals and I was tickled to death! Most of the eggs have been tiny, almost banty sized, so I wasnt expecting much, but a couple of them were close to store bought sized, and it was those two that I chose to make my sons birthday cake with tonight. I cracked the eggs, and both of the eggs were DOUBLE-YOLKS! If they are laying double yolks at 17 weeks, then what are they going to be doing when they are fully mature??!! [​IMG] I am soo impressed.

2. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    I think until they get fully regulated you get alot of double yolkers at first. Yesterday, I was making scrambled eggs from my pullets(6 mo. old) and the first three eggs I cracked were all double yolkers!

3. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my EE's done the same thing when she first started laying. It didn't last very long, no more double yolkers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by