Double Yolks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FuzzBall, Aug 14, 2011.

1. FuzzBall

FuzzBall New Egg

Jul 17, 2011
    Our RIR's started laying about 3 weeks ago. They are really getting the momentum going too. No matter how big or small the eggs, almost all have been double yolks. Is this a sign of good nutrition or just luck and will they eventually turn back to singles once they get older?

2. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    All of my hens are very healthy, they have chicken food with protein, oyster shell, ACV in water, free renge all day and get treats....I don't know if it is new layers or certain kinds of chickens but my Red Sex-link's first egg was a double yolk and she lays at least 1 double yolker a week! Without fail! I have got doubles from my other girls on occation bit it just seems to be my RSL! So I don't know, but enjoy!!! I would say it's cause they are healthy and happy!

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    From what I've read, it seems to occur more often in new layers.

4. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    I just started gettong eggs from ,my WLH and BR.... i have an egg from BR that is just huge how can i see if it is double yolk or not. i candled it, but do not really know what to look for

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by