Double Yolks??

Mrs Clutterbuck

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi everyone
big_smile.png

I've been getting double yolks from one of my girls, about every 3 days, anyone know anything about them?

<-----Yep, they happen, I have a BO that gives me about one a week, they happen a bit when their egg laying machinery is new. Some chickens just go on and on laying them.

I have had several double yolks, my RIR is laying,she is almost 6mo. I have also had two eggs that I swear were 2 1/2" long from my RIR, that had 3 yolks. I look at those sizes and think poor babies, oweee, sitz bath time!!! ha:) So much fun finding something new everyday.

Wow, that's a lot of double yolkers!
I've had maybe one of two from each hen, and those were towards the beginning of their laying lives so I agree with Impress
smile.png

wow so many of us have double yolk eggs. My husband loves them, but funny they are molting or done recently and we are averaging a double yolk 1almost every week or more. My husband was thinking it is from this big new Hampshire rr they are my latest ones, purchased at poultry auction this past september so might be the new layer huh.

wow so many of us have double yolk eggs. My husband loves them, but funny they are molting or done recently and we are averaging a double yolk 1almost every week or more. My husband was thinking it is from this big new Hampshire rr they are my latest ones, purchased at poultry auction this past september so might be the new layer huh.

It is considered a 'mistake' in the egg production system. It happens when the ovary releases two oocytes instead of one. Some hens are genetically predisposed to this. In fact I have heard that some Amish folks actually breed hens that give almost exclusively double yolks. I have only gotten one double. It is always so cool!!

I have one hen who is a huge bird.....Naked Neck X Something.....9 months old, weighing around 10 lbs, legs like tree trunks....she lays only huge eggs now. She laid a couple with single yolks when aged about 5 months, went on to double yolkers, stopped for a couple of months, and now only lays eggs about 3 inches long and usually over 100g every second or third day.

Back
Top Bottom