Doublewide Dwellers?

I also live in a manufactured home. It is a 1995 16x80 we bought it used. It had been refurbed and I love it! We had bought 15 acres and bought it to put there. I love having the lower expenses that come from living in a manufactured home in the country. We have approx $80,000 invested in the home and land.

Just to let everyone know. All of Oklahoma is not red dirt, sand and rocks.
Where I live now there is a lot of that type land. I told my wife when we were getting new carpet that I wanted terracotta so it would hide the red dirt stains.
Eastern Oklahoma is nothing like that. The soil where I grew up would grow hair on a cross cut saw.
Unfortunatly not many farmers there now.

Last year we almost bought a double-wide on 4 acres for our daughter & family. It was beautifully refurbished inside and sat on a full-size poured basement. It had a wrap-around porch and a 2-car almost attached garage and another huge "party" barn that was decorated like an old-west saloon inside on one side and the other side would have been perfect for my SIL's car detailing business. Unfortunately, we couldn't get financing on it because it had been moved from another location and they were afraid of structural damage. My daughter and I both cried. It was really beautiful. It had wonderful landscaping and even a pergola.

I'm glad I started this post. This has been interesting.
I agree w'Southern I'd rather have my home than the pink elephant that they are building across the road, it's only 8000 sq. ft.! I mean what do you need that big a place for when there's only 4 people in your household. They are building it for show alone.
I take more pride in my doublewide than most people do w' their "stick built" homes. I've even had a total stranger stop and offer me $150,000.00 for mine about 15 yrs ago. And that is saying alot, cuz 15 yrs ago we were in a singlewide and the land scaping was nothing compared to now. Now I have mature trees etc and the doublewide.
Even the mortgage company's are prejudice. I was just told that Freddie Mac changed their guidlines on refi's for mobile homes to be that it has to have a 65% loan value. It use to be 80%.
One of these days maybe we d-dwellers will get equal treatment. But I won't hold my breath.

We have a brand new24x61 U.B.C Magnolia home. Lost the last one in a fire. 2 bedroom,2 bath,den,living and family room,formal dining room. We put this one on a knee wall. Technically made a bi-level.Hardwood laminate floor,carpet in bedrooms and den. All drywall with bull nose corners. 20R walls,40R ceilings. It sits on 5 acres.Can't seem to get photo bucket up right now. So can't post pics of inside.

We have a manufactured home, not sure if they call it a double wide? It's on a full basement so we were able to get it 100% financed. Otherwise, no way we'd own a home! There are A LOT of manufactured/trailers/etc on land out here.

We have an older home, 1988, on close to 3A. The home was already here and isn't bad though I like the newer homes they make now. The place serves us well (residence & home business) & most people that come by love the layout & say it's "homey"
lol.png
We did buy this place more for the property than the home on it. I think we have the best of two worlds - Some land and a neighborhood.
smile.png
For the most part most of our neighbors have between 1-5 acres and are nice. A few others even have chickens. We only live about 5 min. fm town and have natural gas heat up to the end of our road.
Here a two pics I took in the fall of 07.
100_5241.jpg

100_5239.jpg

Quote:
What beautiful pictures! I love the window
love.gif

We live in a "stick built" home now, but before this place, we had a 28x80 Medallion. It was built well, and I was impressed with it. It was going to cost more to pour the basement, move the double wide, and do some remodeling though, so we just went with our multi-level. We had also looked at doing a newer double wide here (the Medallion was originally my sister in laws, and we wanted something of our own, if we were going to be doing a big loan) but we also ran into problems with the county. Out here, it's a big issue, they have so many restrictions about "trailers" that you are better off building, then messing with all of the pain in the butt red tape.

Yeh the only thing with trying to buy a used MH...financing. When we were getting our place there were maybe 2 companies left that would even think about financing a SWMH
well about 90% of the way through the loan processing wells fargo put a cease and desist order on all MH financing.

so that left countrywide and that wasnt easy either. they wanted everything shy of my first born. I think we lucked out too because countrywide just sold out to bank of america the other day.

Back
Top Bottom