Down to one chicken! Will she survive?

Patti Staley

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2020
Hi I am a new chicken owner as of this May. We started with 3 chicks. I lost one end of July to a raccoon and just lost one(who was the head chicken) today to our neighbors dog. I am so sad and worried about our chicken that is left. She hide deep under a bush and we finally got her out and she let me carry her to her coop tonight. She did not eat or drink but went and laid in her nest box. Will she survive or was this too traumatic for her? Is there anything we can do?

Will she survive or was this too traumatic for her? Is there anything we can do?
She will survive, but is in shock from what she witnessed, or possibly escaped from herself. I suggest you get and add one or two hens, about same age as her, and things will be back to normal in short.
Make sure to secure whatever you need to keep dog away. :hugs
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

ive been through that scenario multiple times .. yeah she'll live on but be reclusive until you get some buddies going for her .. ive done it both ways, getting an adult to give her company or just getting another batch of chicks to raise up .. i think that options better .. an adult can bring home mites possibly or actually bully her making it worse ... the good news is she has experince she can pass on to a new flock ...

So an update, this happened around 2pm yesterday. This morning she is still in shock, barley moving, would not eat or drink. I put her comfortably back in her nest box after I held her for a bit to see if she would eat some scrambled eggs from my hand, which she normally loves. How long does a chicken normally stay in shock for until they will eat?
We did have a friend offer a few of their older chickens to us to have. May only take one and see how she does but want to wait until she is not in shock.

So an update, this happened around 2pm yesterday. This morning she is still in shock, barley moving, would not eat or drink. I put her comfortably back in her nest box after I held her for a bit to see if she would eat some scrambled eggs from my hand, which she normally loves. How long does a chicken normally stay in shock for until they will eat?
We did have a friend offer a few of their older chickens to us to have. May only take one and see how she does but want to wait until she is not in shock.
Dog got hold of her, she is not in shock from being scared. Look carefully for puncture wounds on back and extensive bruising, especially under wings. Not eating for a couple days will not hurt her. Make certain she has access to water and does not get too hot or cold.

Back
Top Bottom