Downsizing can be most difficult

BamaChicken

Orpingtons Bama Style
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Well, it has been a big week of downsizing for me. First sold two silkie pullets, then gave two silkie pullets and a hen to a friend at church. Gave my neighbors two Standard cockerels and a three young siikies I had promised them. They gave us two Maran pullets for DH
Took 7 silkie chicks and Roo to Auction along with 4 Orpington cockerels and three RIR cockerels. I know I needed to let another black 5 month old Orpington Roo go but I just couldn't yet. I have a couple of Orpington cockerels in another pen that maybe later I will let go. I am getting to ready to switch my Orpington breeding pens around tomorrow.
I will have all black pen and a Blue/Splash pen and then BAMA pen.
I now have 45 silkies 12 RIR's, 36 Orpingtons. Wow, I am under a 100 for the first time in a long time. Believe it or not I am going to downsize more. I am not going to keep a Splash silkie roo anymore and only a few splash hens. When my black pullets get larger I may trade out some of my older hens if the newer ones meet the requirements.
Anyone else downsizing?

I've never been good at the downsizing of ANYTHING: pets, closets, etc... I can add, but have great difficulty subtracting. I don't envy you at all.
hugs.gif

That is my problem too. I have to many roosters and not enough hens for them. Problem is I hatched all, but 3 of the roo's so it is really hard to let go, but I need too. No one wants roosters though. I have asked everyone at work, and that has farms around me, and they all say no.

Downsizing is a pain. I had to downsize because I couldn't leave my family with dozens of animals to take care of when I am away. I am as small as I am willing to get with just 8 standards and 6 silkies. The turkeys go tomorrow.
sad.png

Downsizing is never fun. I think I finally have decided which BBS orp roos are going to the auction next friday. I have a few old welsummer hens that I should take too, but they may get to stay until next months auction. There's some other young roos that are going too. It's certainly hard when we've hatched and raised them isn't it.

I would really like to get down to about 50 birds but don't know if that if feasible. I know none of you can believe this but I have eggs under broodies. You know i am only doing it to get them over this broody cycle.
I may at some point not keep my gorgeous blue silkies and just stick with the white, black and buffs.
I keep trying to talk myself out of the RIR's too but just can't right now.

Thats kinda funny that I ran into this post because I was just talking to a friend about downsizing last night. I have around 60 birds right now and want to downsize to 30 by fall. A dozen of the roo's are freezer bound but the rest need to find homes. I have six breeds and need to cut down to three. I don't know if I can!
lol.png

* I feel for you. I'm trying to "downsize" my whole house to a storage room to move. Not fun at all. DS came Sunday and took Draven the water-loving cat home with him. I miss "Mr. D" and so do the neighbors. One is mad because he wanted "D". But, technically, he is DS's cat.
hmm.png

We are downsizing from 24 standard hens, 5 silkies, 5 Stiptzhaubens and Brabanters,
20 Rangers, 5 mutt chicks, 2 Ausies, & 37 quail

To

3 Silkies & 12 Quail (We're moving)

As long as they go to good homes or the freezer I'm happy. But it ain't easy
sad.png

I am wanting to downsize as well. I love my Dutch bantams, but, they are so flighty compared to the Silkies. I have three color varieties of Dutch and am wanting to get rid of two of them and get down to just one color. I have two roosters and about 25-30 hens. I just need the older Light Brown rooster to pass on and then I would sell off my Light Brown Flock. I want to get down to one Cream Light Brown rooster and about 6 hens.

If I needed to downsize on silkies I would sell off my Blue and Splash varieties.

My laying flock I also show, all large fowl Ameraucanas, however, I do have three new show RIR's and a few other breeds that are old and part of my original ones 6 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom