Doxycycline 20mg

MsConnieLou

Hatching
May 26, 2024
I have a hen that has rales and now clear bubbles in her eyes and a bit of swelling in front of her eyes about the size of a pencil eraser ( or a tad smaller) she had been sneezing clear liquid from nose, I have just had her on duragard for 5 days and been using terramycin in her eyes but she doesn’t seem any better and also a couple other hens have runny noses and some rales , I just got some doxycycline 20MG tablets can I use these so soon after stopping the duragard or should I wait even though her symptoms don’t seem any better and if I should start the doxycycline how do I do that because it is in tablet form and I have no way to separate her from my other hens? Can I just give her the tablet in her mouth or does it need dissolved in water( how will I know if she gets the recommended dose?)

I have a hen that has rales and now clear bubbles in her eyes and a bit of swelling in front of her eyes about the size of a pencil eraser ( or a tad smaller) she had been sneezing clear liquid from nose, I have just had her on duragard for 5 days and been using terramycin in her eyes but she doesn’t seem any better and also a couple other hens have runny noses and some rales , I just got some doxycycline 20MG tablets can I use these so soon after stopping the duragard or should I wait even though her symptoms don’t seem any better and if I should start the doxycycline how do I do that because it is in tablet form and I have no way to separate her from my other hens? Can I just give her the tablet in her mouth or does it need dissolved in water( how will I know if she gets the recommended dose?)
Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of your hen and her eyes?
Where are you located in the world?
Is there a bad odor to the pus/swelling - any lesions inside the beak?

Bubbles in the eyes can often indicate Mycoplasma.
If you've given a full 5 days of Denagard (Tiamulin), then you can try the Doxycycline to see if that helps with symptoms. Denagard (Tiamulin) is designed to treat symptoms of MG, so this may not be the disease you are dealing with. Could be a virus instead.

Amoxicillin is not effective against Mycoplasma since it has no cell wall.

If there's pus in the eyes, it will need to be pressed out so the eyes can heal.

Here's info on dosing of Doxycycline.
https://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/doxycycline
My hen

has bubbles in her eyes, rales, sneezing and a swollen spot in front of her eyes ( have already tried duragard 5 days, terramycn, VetRX, poultry cell ) I currently bought amoxicillin 500 mg and also have doxycycline 20MG - just stopped the surged one day ago but she still has all the same symptoms she had before giving

Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of your hen and her eyes?
Where are you located in the world?
Is there a bad odor to the pus/swelling - any lesions inside the beak?

Bubbles in the eyes can often indicate Mycoplasma.
If you've given a full 5 days of Denagard (Tiamulin), then you can try the Doxycycline to see if that helps with symptoms. Denagard (Tiamulin) is designed to treat symptoms of MG, so this may not be the disease you are dealing with. Could be a virus instead.

Amoxicillin is not effective against Mycoplasma since it has no cell wall.

If there's pus in the eyes, it will need to be pressed out so the eyes can heal.

Here's info on dosing of Doxycycline.
https://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/doxycycline
Yes I have gave Denagard ( not duragard, sorry for that) for 5 consecutive days and she still has same symptoms as before giving it.
No out in eyes just clear bubbles and no pus that I can tell in the swollen spot in front of her eyes , how would I go about squeezing on it ( like from beak and push towards eye?)
How soon can I give her the 20MG doxycycline and how , it is in a pill form?

Attachments

• IMG_1461.jpeg
    IMG_1461.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom