Dr. Z. saved my girl!

celebrate.gif
love.gif
celebrate.gif

Now that Coco is on the road to recovery, Dr. Z. told me I could put her back outside with her peeps today. But she's been in the warm house since Friday and today's Wednesday and it's about 20 degrees out there! Can I just put her out there? Has she been in the house too long? I seem to remember somewhere on here that a few days is ok but if she was inside for a couple of weeks it's better to slowly acclimate her. any thoughts? I know there are!
frow.gif
idunno.gif

Quote:
Well IMO no offense to the vet but I think I would keep her inside until she has fully recovered. I don't like to take chances and then have a relapse of the injury/illness. I think it is to cold to put her out and just to leave her. I would wait til she was 100% and eating and drinking like she is supposed to and finished her antibiobiotic and then would even consider puttin her back out there. The other chickens may pick on her and that is not good if she still not 100% back to her old self.

I am praying that she keeps getting better and the signs are looking good so far. Lucky Coco has an awesome chicken Mommy.

I'm probably too late to help you here. I'm glad Coco is doing so much better. When I need to give liquid medicine to my girls/guys, I take a very small piece of bread and soak it in the medicine. That way I can put the bread ball in their mouths and not worry about aspiration. Usually, unless they are very sick, or the medicine tastes awful, they just eat it by themselves.

Quote:
Well IMO no offense to the vet but I think I would keep her inside until she has fully recovered. I don't like to take chances and then have a relapse of the injury/illness. I think it is to cold to put her out and just to leave her. I would wait til she was 100% and eating and drinking like she is supposed to and finished her antibiobiotic and then would even consider puttin her back out there. The other chickens may pick on her and that is not good if she still not 100% back to her old self.

I am praying that she keeps getting better and the signs are looking good so far. Lucky Coco has an awesome chicken Mommy.

I was leaning that way as well, chickenlady08, although she is eating and drinking sooo much better than she was a few days ago!
celebrate.gif
When I put her back out there, I think I will do it on a day when I can be out there off and on to make sure she's not getting picked on.
love.gif
BYC people!

Quote:

I was leaning that way as well, chickenlady08, although she is eating and drinking sooo much better than she was a few days ago!
celebrate.gif
When I put her back out there, I think I will do it on a day when I can be out there off and on to make sure she's not getting picked on.
love.gif
BYC people!

It is also good to put chickens out at night so that will hopefully not pick on her. Nut I am glad you are waiting to put her back out. Most vets that are not familiar with chickens don't know the dynamics of them and etc...

Glad Coco is doing well. Makes me happpy when we can save a featherd friend.

Lisa

The longer you keep her out of the coop, the harder it will be to reintroduce her back to her playmates. Only you can decide if she is ready to go back. I have in the past put injured girls out with the hens during the day and brought them back at night for any followup care. If you are gone during the day and the others are not picking on her, the difference will be small anyway.

Good luck

OK, Coco is just about finished with her meds and she is eating and drinking great. The thing is, I'd like to put her back with her peeps but it's been 20 and below during the day and under 10 at night. She's been in the house for a week and oh great, I just heard the weather guy say to get prepared for the coldest temperatures yet this winter.
sad.png
I will be putting the red heat lamp out tomorrow but that usually only warms up a 0 degree coop to a toasty 15 or 20. I don't know what to do!
idunno.gif
I can't keep her in the furnace room forever!
barnie.gif

I would try letting her out at first in the daytime, to get her used to the cold again. Do you have a shed or garage that's colder than the house, but warmer than the outdoors? Maybe you could transition her there for a few nights.

Back
Top Bottom