Draft Horse question

2468Chickensrgr8

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
Ontario
Good Morning 1
Just came in from doing some chores outside ....After checking over the horses (out 24/7 with a shelter)....I have been noticing that our part belgian mare(15 yrs) we just bought this past summer has been getting ice balls on her hair around her hooves and she's been trying to pull them off. I can pick some off and the comb/brush she can take for a little while. I used some sissors to get the big ones off...

Wondering if there is a product that you can suggest that I can put on her hair around her feet so the ice balls are easier to come off.

Or should i trim the hair so its shorter... Merci....

I used to spray ours with Pam when we lived in Maine. I used to rub Crisco on the soles after picking the snowballs off the bottem Otherwise trim the feather a little.

I have had totally ANTI luck with Pam or Crisco... when I've used 'em in the past I've gotten *worse* snowballs in hooves and *worse* ice balls on feathers. I am sure it is at least partly a function of the kind of weather you have, not saying don't try it, just saying it can backfire.

Best thing I know of is a good pair of pliers to crush the ice balls (then they pretyt much fall off or are easily brushed out IME).

My guys *seem* to get less snowballs ont he ends of their tails (yeah, I should shorten their tails
tongue.png
) after I've put showsheen on as a burdock preventative (well ok it doesn't keep the horses from getting burdocks in their tails but it makes it 1000% easier to get 'em OUT), so it might be worth trying, I dunno.

Pliers are probably the biggest thing, though. Just crush, don't pull.

(e.t.a. - of course just shaving the feathers off will work too, if you wanted to go thataway
smile.png
)

Good luck, EVENTUALLY it will be spring (they say
hmm.png
),

Pat

Last edited:
my Clydesdale get's those when we have really cold wintery weather here...I used to trim his feathers because he was being trained in dressage/hunter jumper but now i let them grow for the insulation, lol. I wouldn't worry about trimming it off because he would loose the extra insulation.

I never had luck keeping them off with products, either. Winter time was always problematic for my Perchie mare, anyway, because we have really wet winters and she had lymph issues that made her prone to scratches. So, I kept her feathers clipped. I didn't take the whole feather off, though...just clipped from the heel up under the fetlock, leaving some of her drafty ego intact!

OH my Gosh !!! Pliers ! Never even thought of that ! Im going to get them off now... Thanks so much guys !!
I have show and sheen but its probably frozen...ooops....

Wanted to ask you in dressage should the feathers be shaved off....because that is what the old owner practised and she does do some dressage supposely?... the feathers are now growing back....
We .... she is my hubbys love....just ride western on her and do some trails...she loves plowing through the snow....and my daughter and her arab like to walk behind her in the tracks she makes...and its almost like the snow plow going down the highway and the cars following...
Going to get some pliers now...
Going to the dentist also...pliers....dentist .....ahhhhh!!!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Enh. There is no requirement whatsoever for feathers to be removed for dressage shows. However if it entertains you to school in polos (which don't go on over draft-type feathers real well), or if you are feeling paranoid that everyone is staring at you and thinking "my goodness, what a lower-class worthless person for riding a draft-lookin' horse instead of a fifty thousand dollar european warmblood like all US wonderful people!", then it may seem like a good idea to shave the feathers.

I am not a big one for dressage shows (have done it, of course, and would still show occasionally if I had more money and time and a truck and trailer), but you know what... the thing that counts (with the people who count) is HOW THE HORSE IS GOING. Which is unaffected by hairy ankles or the lack thereof.

:>

Pat

Last edited:
Pat, I totally agree! I did find a great way to make those white polos stick, though, over the feathers...VET WRAP. I would lightly wrap the cannons with vet wrap, then put the polos in place.

It's all a personal preference, really, regarding feathers. Some drafties have pitiful feathers that look best clipped away, and some have feathers worthy of borax and show sheen. Some riders love the look, others don't. Do what you want!

Thanks so much for the answers....before my appt. I went out with the pliers and broke up the big snowballs.I'm going to go out again and clean up the rest.
Also thanks for the answers about the dressage....

Back
Top Bottom