Drained Hen Doing Better!!!

Well, its been a week of good days, death's door, and sour crop. That sour crop is so hard on my little Blue. She is a small girl anyways only about 4 pounds... so I get so worried when she wont eat.. I treated the sour crop with miconazole 2% and BioK and strong probiotics. She is now starting to get strong again:wee:celebrate
I limited her diet to scrambled eggs, non-GMO organic feed, cooked rice with a tiny bit of coconut oil & chaga & reishi mushroom powder. Yesterday she grazed all day and went to bed early. I am so relieved!!! :clap

Good for Blue!
You sound like your doing so good with her!When my hen had sour crop, I also used Yeast Infection medication, and it helped some :)
Hopes and Thoughts for you and your girl!

Blue did great for awhile her poops started looking more normal and it seemed like her vitality was coming back strong so we wormed both of our hens with Wazine that really helped them both! A few days before we wormed Blue injured herself trying to jump up to the nesting boxes she missed and banged her chest into it instead. The next day her right wing was droopy so I put her on my arm to test for wing injury and sure enough she could not flap that wing as well. We made her a sling and she was getting along great! Her spirit was happy and things looked good. On day three, Blue took a turn for the worse and stopped drinking water on her own, she was still eating, digging, running & bossing Happy Feet around though.... So we gave her water and electrolytes by hand every 20-60 min during the day from morning until bedtime and after two days of that she passed. We went out to give her some water and we found her laying in their"bathtub" dust bath area with her feet and legs stretched out barely alive. She had lots of dirt in her mouth so we cleaned that up and she slowly passed on as we held her and loved her. It was heartbreaking for us. My youngest daughter and youngest son & I stayed with her until she finally kept her eyes closed. It took about two hours. We are planning a funeral and burial for her today. It was something that we knew was bound to happen given how much she had been through in the last year or so. Our lesson learned is that we will only buy chicks from a trusted researched dependable source and we will ask questions about vaccinations. We also learned so much about hen health and prevention and treatment. Even though we knew how sick she had been we still did not expect it to happen that day because she looked and acted fine aside from the wing droopy & not drinking water on her own. We hoped she was on a road back to health. I guess the signs were all there though. It was peaceful and loving as we let her body go. We believe that each spirit is eternal and so we know that Blue's spirit is always with us. She can lead us spiritually now❤️Thank you BYC for this wonderful place with great information and knowledge❤️

Blue did great for awhile her poops started looking more normal and it seemed like her vitality was coming back strong so we wormed both of our hens with Wazine that really helped them both! A few days before we wormed Blue injured herself trying to jump up to the nesting boxes she missed and banged her chest into it instead. The next day her right wing was droopy so I put her on my arm to test for wing injury and sure enough she could not flap that wing as well. We made her a sling and she was getting along great! Her spirit was happy and things looked good. On day three, Blue took a turn for the worse and stopped drinking water on her own, she was still eating, digging, running & bossing Happy Feet around though.... So we gave her water and electrolytes by hand every 20-60 min during the day from morning until bedtime and after two days of that she passed. We went out to give her some water and we found her laying in their"bathtub" dust bath area with her feet and legs stretched out barely alive. She had lots of dirt in her mouth so we cleaned that up and she slowly passed on as we held her and loved her. It was heartbreaking for us. My youngest daughter and youngest son & I stayed with her until she finally kept her eyes closed. It took about two hours. We are planning a funeral and burial for her today. It was something that we knew was bound to happen given how much she had been through in the last year or so. Our lesson learned is that we will only buy chicks from a trusted researched dependable source and we will ask questions about vaccinations. We also learned so much about hen health and prevention and treatment. Even though we knew how sick she had been we still did not expect it to happen that day because she looked and acted fine aside from the wing droopy & not drinking water on her own. We hoped she was on a road back to health. I guess the signs were all there though. It was peaceful and loving as we let her body go. We believe that each spirit is eternal and so we know that Blue's spirit is always with us. She can lead us spiritually now❤️Thank you BYC for this wonderful place with great information and knowledge❤️
So sorry for your loss. You certainly did everything you could for her. I wish you all the best ♥️

Thank you for writing up your experience. I'm sorry for your loss. I live nearby in Felton. Who is your vet? I think my hen has EYP now.

Thank you for writing up your experience. I'm sorry for your loss. I live nearby in Felton. Who is your vet? I think my hen has EYP now.
All the more reason not to purposely feed anything but a pelleted or crumbled feed.

Hi! Sorry to reply so late, for some reason I just got a notification tonight…. Well at that time I took Blue and Happy feet to Hilary Stern DVM. I don't know where she practices now, but I know there is a vet that see’s hens in Scotts Valley and also Dr Hannah Good ( mobile vet) will also see hens. Dr. Good is very awesome, I have brought both of my chihuahuas to her. The Scotts Valley vet staff was very kind, but I didn’t go there yet. Oh there is also the Van Avery’s they are great mobile vets too!

Back
Top Bottom