Drake attacked by guinea fowl

I'd try and find your duck a friend ducks are flock animals and really like to have one of their own.

I am very sorry you lost him :hugs

Is their pen and coop secure so nothing can get in. Minks, weasel are small enough to get through 1" wire this could have been an attack by a predator. Look for other areas a pred can get through small holes in the coop and run.

I was on my way to the vet but he passed. Thank you all for all your help. Do you think my other duck will be lonely by herself?

I'm having bad luck as a first time chicken and duck owner. Next time I have a sick bird I'm going straight to the vet no more home remedies!
So sorry he passed..RIP little Buddy..:hugs

Their pen is very secure but I'll double check. My duck was attacked outside the pen though, and the other birds were out too which is why I didn't think it was a predator but I don't have a lot of experience with preds so it could have gone after one in the flock.

Also, any suggestions on where to find an adult duck for sale?

Sorry for your loss, but I share the same concerns as @Miss Lydia that you may be dealing with a predator here. Your duck hen may do well with just the chickens for company, but a drake might make her far happier.
Yes..As I thought too, it was a predator that got the Duck.
Hope you can find the remaining Duck a friend..

Check your craig list ads sometime feed stores will also have postings. And here on BYC we have a rehoming thread and a buy sell trade thread just keep scrolling down past the duck forum.

Could have been a pred then and maybe something scared it off before it had a chance to out right kill your drake.

So sorry for your loss. :hugs

As an owner of guineas, chickens, ducks, peafowl, and turkeys, I can tell you that guineas can be very dangerous to other fowl. I have seen them chase, attack, and kill roosters twice their size, so if your guinea is aggressive, I think you should rehome it or put it in an aviary with other guineas.

Note that I'm not saying a predator didn't cause the injuries, just that guineas can and do kill other fowl.

Back
Top Bottom