Drake attacked by guinea fowl

Kirbyroberts

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2017
Hi y'all! I have a question on how to care for and how to deal with a duck and a guinea who aren't getting along.

My sweet khaki Campbell drake was attached by one of my other birds last night. I have 4 chickens but they are not aggressive at all so I'm quite sure it was the guinea that did. My duck had a bloody nose and a decent sized gash in his neck and was extremely subdued. He wouldn't quack and other than me startling him he did not fight being picked up at all. His attitude was the same this morning even when I took him out to see his girlfriend he was not interested at all, he just layed down.

Question 1 - how should I care for him mentally and physically. He certainly is not himself, I think it's damaged pride and also fright. He does not feel welcome in his coop anymore. I cleaned out his wound and put some neosporin on it. I just had him dip his beak in water to clean the blood off and I think it has stopped bleeding for the most part last night:

Question 2 - what do I do with my guinea? She has clearly been picking on my other duck and I'm pretty sure she is the only one who is territorial enough to attack my only male duck/bird. Do I give her away? Is she bored bc it's winter and there aren't as many bugs? Should I set her free? I raised her with a chicks and ducks so I hoped there wouldn't be a problem and I don't really want to get rid of her even though she is loud. But I don't want my drake to feel unsafe and unwanted.

Any answers?!?!

If your Guinea gets along with your chickens keep her but remove your ducks from having to be in same coop and pen. Not all poultry get along.

Are you sure these are the only 2 wounds on your drake? can you post a pic of the wounds

Attacked* here are picture of his nose and neck. The neck is hard to see I think it's starting to heal but the feathers are plastered down. He also hasn't eaten or drank much since last night

Attachments

• IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    565.8 KB · Views: 13
Attacked* here are picture of his nose and neck. The neck is hard to see I think it's starting to heal but the feathers are plastered down. He also hasn't eaten or drank much since last night
I say give him a good warm bath and clean him up so you can we're all wounds are. You can put some non pain reliever neosporine on his cuts on his body.

I'm not really sure what did but he hasn't eaten in 2 days and I just came upstairs to check on him and one eye is really swollen and the other had a drop of something run out of it! I'm really scared, I don't want him to die and he's looking really rough right now. He won't move his legs or wings. He just lays there with his head tucked into his chest. He's in a bath with Apple cider vinegar right now but idk what else to do! Please Help!!

I was on my way to the vet but he passed. Thank you all for all your help. Do you think my other duck will be lonely by herself?

I'm having bad luck as a first time chicken and duck owner. Next time I have a sick bird I'm going straight to the vet no more home remedies!

Back
Top Bottom