Drake/hen mating season prep - gulp

Hey there fellow duck parents - well, considering the bright iridescent green feathers that are finally making an appearance - Barbe and Ed are most likely drakes. Which is fine except I ended up rescuing a much older female rouen (long story). Right now she's definitely the boss of both of them - she's much bigger and doesn't take any of their 3mo old sh*t.

I've always known if they turned out to be drakes I'd need to get at least 3 more hens if I wanted to grow my flock - but I was just thoroughly traumatized reading about what's in store when mating season arrives come February.

So here is my question(s): new female ducklings won't make their way to me until March at the earliest - and even then it's going to be months before I can introduce them to Barbe and Ed.

1. Do I separate my female Rouen (Ruthie) from the boys in February to spare her the gang rape even tho it might make her unhappy to be away from them and she sorta smacks them around and shows them who's boss now? She's like a Sr citizen - I think that's why she was dumped. I doubt she lays anymore but who knows.

2. When I do get my lady ducklings in the spring, I imagine there is a whole process for introducing in a bunch of younger hens? There is probably a post about that here somewhere.

Mind you - they are my pets, I'm not creating a business nor do I want a giant flock of ducks. I wanted just a few - but now that I've got two drakes.... man that sorta throws a wrench in all of that.

Do I have to get rid of one of my drakes to make things more manageable? Ugh - that makes my heart hurt if that's what y'all recommend.
I’m not sure of how or where to take drakes. I bought 3 ducks at a local farmers market to even out my flock to 6. Only problem is with ducklings, they take time to mature unless they are a breed that is able to be sexed as ducklings. My first 3 were Rouens and I am still guessing what sex they are even though they are probably over 4 months now. I’ve heard if you buy from the brooders in TSC etc , you are likely to get a drake due to demand for the females on each order. I have heard of people keeping a drake flock. I’m not sure. Also , I have been terrified of loosing one due to mating but I keep a pretty close eye when home and break up a gang rape cause the girls join in. Usually only in the pool. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom