Drake Identification and Strange Broody Hen

😂🤣 that's a perfect picture of a broody mama!!

I think your boys must be mallard...not really enough brown to be KC and not as dumpy looking. I have a KC drake that can fly...about 3 ft off the ground and maybe 10-20 yards. Pretty hard for him to get his big butt airborne though...no way he could fly like you are describing.
20191004_092752.jpg

He looks pretty lightly colored here, but that pic is after a full summer of sun bleaching.

Ok, but what color is the head of the duck the op posted? Everyone sees color differently but that looks black to me.
My bad there! The two are busy enough I’ve struggled to get good pictures and just went with the best one I could find in my camera roll. Their heads are an iridescent deep green!

The same as a Female. Brown
I didn’t even think the mention that!! There was a period of time where they shed their green heads for brown. Finally came to the conclusion that it was just a weird mystery duck thing. Had no idea that drakes could get plainer for breeding season! Thank you so much for all your help!

though they’re babies from the other ducks since I haven’t picked up a Muscovy drake.

They could be hers. Regular ducks and muscovy ducks can produce offspring, though they will be infertile. It's a very common way to produce meat ducks in some countries.

Your drake looks very similar to a mallard, but as you said, his color isn't quite right. There are the most important color genes (white, black, restricted, blue, bibbed, etc...) but there have to be many more minor ones that we don't understand. Duck breeds aren't pure, so plenty of mixing goes on. He is probably mostly mallard but with a bit of other breeds in him and that modified his color. It could just be a random mutation too.

Back
Top Bottom