Drake overbreeding one of my four girls

Sfraker

Songster
5 Years
Feb 17, 2014
Western NC
My wonderful drake, Ferd, really likes one specific girl, Duckaine. She is pretty much willing to be bred. The others all run when they see that look in his eye. She just causually walks away like she is only half heartedly playing hard to get. In the water she doesn't even try to get away.

Ferd has really learned to focus on her. I rarely see him with any of the other girls. I have given him some time outs and kept him seperated from the girls for a couple days here and there. Last night I noticed that Duckaine has a small patch of broken/short feathers on the back of her neck. I'm sure it's from all the breeding.

Any thoughts on how to get him to focus on the others? I keep telling Duckaine to run but she doesn't listen. I think she is a little floozy!
tongue.png

Haha, awwww!
Bless her.. i'm scared one of my girls are going to get pestered because I have two drakes!
How many females do you? You could put two females in another coop so she won't be alone and the other girls can have a 'go'! ha

I have four girls. I put Duckaine in a large wire dog crate inside the coop tonight. I will try keeping her separated during the day for a few days

Haha, awwww!
Bless her.. i'm scared one of my girls are going to get pestered because I have two drakes!
How many females do you? You could put two females in another coop so she won't be alone and the other girls can have a 'go'! ha
Do keep an eye on things. The female ducks depend on you to protect them.

I have tried keeping her and one other girl seperate from the drake for 8-9 days. I don't believe Ferd bred the other two girls that whole time. As soon as I tried to put them back together he charged and pounced on poor Duckaine. This time she was not interested in him. I grabbed him away and she bolted up the ramp into the water. I let him go because in the months we have had him, he has not been able to figure out the ramp or how to get in and out of the pool. We have to lift him in and out of the pool each day. However this time he leaped/flew up the 3 foot to get into the pool. He was crazy to see her. We had to quickly seperate them again.

Any other thoughts on how to get him interested in the others? My husband, daughter and I have not seen him mate with any of the other girls in months. Do we keep them seperated longer?

Can he be neutered?

The interesting thing is that she is the only broody duck we have. Each morning we have to chase her away from the nest to get our four eggs. If she was sitting on eggs would he leave her alone? I could give her some fake eggs to sit on to give her a break. I don't need any more ducks right now as we enter winter.

Back
Top Bottom