We amputated the diseased tissue this evening. I was getting a little worried about the yellowish tissue, so I removed that as well. We rinsed the area with Veterycin before beginning. I wish we had had scissors. The scalpel was not as quick to use (though it was still very quick). I hope we did not hurt Bob, he quacked once during the procedure, but it sounded more like an annoyed or frightened quack rather than a pain quack. I could not spray Veterycin on the wound afterwards, though, because the penis retreated into the vent like tape into a tape measure. I am glad we used the Veterycin beforehand.
Afterwards, he seemed like a different duck. He stood up and flapped, and then began making bathing motions and acting very excited. I hope he does well after this, we shall see.
Here is what I cut off. In the second picture, you can see the yellowish discoloration. You don't think I cut too much off, do you?
View attachment 3728090

View attachment 3728091
For future reference, what are you supposed to do with amputated tissue? I flushed this down the toilet.
You did a great job and just what I would have done. Congratulations and I think he will be just fine. I kept mine in a baggy to show the Grandchildren and anyone else that wanted to see it but you did what I probably should have done other than I would have just thrown in out in the trash can. It's all good though and I pray he makes it just fine. Thanks for the update.

We checked on Bob this evening, and he has prolapsed again a tiny bit. Judging by what I've read on here, this seems normal. There is a healthy-looking scab where I cut it. Anyway, this gave me a chance to spray the Veterycin and apply a little more Hydrocortisone. Earlier this afternoon, his sphincter muscle was opening and closing a little (sort of the way a chicken's vent does when you examine it), so he may be somewhat uncomfortable. (Could vent muscles temporarily atrophy a little after a long prolapse?) But that's to be expected, especially so soon after surgery. He got to go outside today. Though he and the other ducks spent most of their time out sitting on their feet and eating snow, he still didn't want to go in. He also seems to be eating more today. His brother Nelson and messy, crazy sister Magnolia (the star of my profile image) are in with him, to keep him company, which makes things very interesting.

We checked on Bob this evening, and he has prolapsed again a tiny bit. Judging by what I've read on here, this seems normal. There is a healthy-looking scab where I cut it. Anyway, this gave me a chance to spray the Veterycin and apply a little more Hydrocortisone. Earlier this afternoon, his sphincter muscle was opening and closing a little (sort of the way a chicken's vent does when you examine it), so he may be somewhat uncomfortable. (Could vent muscles temporarily atrophy a little after a long prolapse?) But that's to be expected, especially so soon after surgery. He got to go outside today. Though he and the other ducks spent most of their time out sitting on their feet and eating snow, he still didn't want to go in. He also seems to be eating more today. His brother Nelson and messy, crazy sister Magnolia (the star of my profile image) are in with him, to keep him company, which makes things very interesting.
I would keep an eye on it for sure because some people do have to take more off if it comes to that. Hopefully it will be fine and start to stay in all the way. I am glad that you got to spray it good when it was out.

I would keep an eye on it for sure because some people do have to take more off if it comes to that. Hopefully it will be fine and start to stay in all the way. I am glad that you got to spray it good when it was out.
It's not really terribly prolapsed, it's only the "stump" of what was removed showing. But I will certainly keep an eye on it, and remove more if need be. It looks a little swollen, though not discolored or inflamed. He will be getting an Epsom salt soak soon, and the Meloxicam and Hydrocortisone will help.

I'm glad you were able to amputate it, good job! Regarding the cortisone, have you Googled to see if that's appropriate?

I'm glad you were able to amputate it, good job! Regarding the cortisone, have you Googled to see if that's appropriate?
It's good to have the operation over with.
Regarding the cortisone, I have read that it's okay to use with poultry, and the vet said we should continue using it. However, I found out that using NSAIDS (like Meloxicam) and corticosteroids (like Hydrocortisone) can sometimes have bad side effects, at least in dogs, so I probably wouldn't be using it while Bob is on Meloxicam without the vet's recommendation.

It's good to have the operation over with.
Regarding the cortisone, I have read that it's okay to use with poultry, and the vet said we should continue using it. However, I found out that using NSAIDS (like Meloxicam) and corticosteroids (like Hydrocortisone) can sometimes have bad side effects, at least in dogs, so I probably wouldn't be using it while Bob is on Meloxicam without the vet's recommendation.
I never had to use any drugs after my ducks amputation and he was just fine.

Back
Top Bottom