Drake prolapse?

I’m going to check on him now. That thread is great, very informative. I will keep you guys updated! I’m a vet tech and have experience with dogs and cats, I just got my ducks this years so I’m just starting to build up my duck knowledge. A vet I used to work with at an animal shelter has started working a bit with ducks, so maybe she will be some help too

I’m going to check on him now. That thread is great, very informative. I will keep you guys updated! I’m a vet tech and have experience with dogs and cats, I just got my ducks this years so I’m just starting to build up my duck knowledge. A vet I used to work with at an animal shelter has started working a bit with ducks, so maybe she will be some help too
Keep us posted please and feel free to add to the other thread. We hope that someday soon we can make an article on the subject. Your input would be very helpful.

Update: the drake (my boyfriend now named him “little richard” :rolleyes:) is holding his own. His penis was definitely necrotic and beyond sugar soaks. With the help of the vet I currently work with, we were able to remove the necrotic tissue, cleaned it well and tried getting it back into the cloaca. It’s still a little swollen and out a tiny bit but he’s on metacam and pen g injections, so hopefully that will help. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for all your input! It’s been a duck disaster here this weekend:barnie

Update: the drake (my boyfriend now named him “little richard” :rolleyes:) is holding his own. His penis was definitely necrotic and beyond sugar soaks. With the help of the vet I currently work with, we were able to remove the necrotic tissue, cleaned it well and tried getting it back into the cloaca. It’s still a little swollen and out a tiny bit but he’s on metacam and pen g injections, so hopefully that will help. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for all your input! It’s been a duck disaster here this weekend:barnie
So glad you were able to have it looked at! Hopefully he will make a speedy recovery.:fl

May I ask how much penicillin and Metacam he is getting? I ask because I like to add this sort of dosing information to my notes.

@casportpony he’s getting a metacam dose of 0.5mg/ml which is a dose I got from a vet for a previous duck. I haven’t really found a “definitive” dose for penicillin g, except for what is in plumbs of 100 mg/kg and that’s for turkeys. I also found a different dose in an exotic animal book. The dose for plain penicillin was 50,000 iu/kg IM for waterfowl. Between those 2, he should be getting roughly 0.3-0.5 ml so I just went in the middle

Back
Top Bottom