Drake Prolapsed penis

Might be runner at least the smaller size you should be able to work with him better. Sure hope you see a big improvement in a few short days. Did the vet tell you to do anything special to it? 

No she just said he didn't need antibiotics or any after care just keep a close eye on him

Good for you taking such good care of your duck! And besides, you got Celtic and Miss Lydia and Amiga on your thread!! Some great minds, and good hearts, in that group for sure.
highfive.gif

Thanks, wow who knew I would like this duck this much to go through this hassle haha
Isn't it something how they make their way into our hearts?

Thanks for keeping us posted, and for taking care of the little guy. We just got our first drake a few weeks ago. He is the companion of two buff girls we adopted, so of course we adopted Bean, too. Here we go, another learning curve!!!

Glad to have been reading along with some of the discussions on drake stuff.

Thanks for the nod, Marty1876
smile.png
- you, Miss Lydia and Celtic Oaks Farms have been wonderfully helpful.

Neosporin (no pain reliever) and push the entire thing back inside is the first option for treating prolapse.

He has to be kept away from the girls for a prolonged period of time to allow it to heal and stay in. Breeding can cause it to get worse and not correct.

If it has been out (exposed) and is now turning necrotic it is time to take VERY sharp scissors (we use medical paramedic sets here) and cute behind where the dead tissue is, leaving behind only healthy tissue. Like a rubber band pulled tight, when clipped it usually recoils back inside quickly.

We had a muscovy drake we had to cut this spring (May). He is back to full health this fall and breeding very well again now too. He was kept separate from the girls for 2 months, then one girl introduced so we could make sure he is ok to rejoin the group.
If I don't have Neosporin cream would vetericyn antimicrobial gel be ok ? And do I just push his penis back in w my finger ?

Neosporin (no pain reliever) and push the entire thing back inside is the first option for treating prolapse.

He has to be kept away from the girls for a prolonged period of time to allow it to heal and stay in. Breeding can cause it to get worse and not correct.

If it has been out (exposed) and is now turning necrotic it is time to take VERY sharp scissors (we use medical paramedic sets here) and cute behind where the dead tissue is, leaving behind only healthy tissue. Like a rubber band pulled tight, when clipped it usually recoils back inside quickly.

We had a muscovy drake we had to cut this spring (May). He is back to full health this fall and breeding very well again now too. He was kept separate from the girls for 2 months, then one girl introduced so we could make sure he is ok to rejoin the group.

Back
Top Bottom