1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

drakes lost his mojo!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thomassio, Oct 24, 2014.

1. thomassio

thomassio Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    So my drake has lost his mojo! We recently upped his girls from 5 to 7. He very rarely treads them now but used to A LOT! He generally seems less protective of them and a lottle tired belut hes only a year and a hald old. Its almost like he is 'hen pecked!' Could 7 girls be swnsing him mad!? Will 2 drakes be ok with 7 ducks if I get one more?
    All runners by the way.

Thanks.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Depending upon where you live (especially if day length is decreasing) he may just be taking the normal break from breeding. Unless you want hatching eggs, the introduction of a new drake may cause more problems than you wish to deal with. Some drakes will accept another drake into an established flock - others will fight.

3. thomassio

thomassio Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks sourland. Maybe I shouldn't worry then. He is usually very protective of the girls but since the two youngest were introduced its like he is overwhelmed. Ots been a few weeks, maybe more now and he seems healthy enough, just not as interested in them. I thought 2 drakes for 7 ducks would be ok but maybe im pushing my luck.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    All sourland said is right on, and another bit of info, sometimes the drakes also have their favorites and will breed frequently with them but not so much with the others. My drakes are calming down now and can actually be in the same area with each other[ not the norm] so breeding season has come to an end here till next year. shortened daylight bring it on. If you want to add another drake into the mix I'd make a separate pen and house so if things begin to get rowdy between the drakes you have a place to put the one drake with his girls separate from the rest. It can get pretty rowdy here come spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by