Dramatic Chicken Rescue -- Ends Well! (also gross)


9 Years
Oct 4, 2012
North of Houston Texas
I moved to a new-to-me property and "inherited" a coop/run, which was good because it meant I had an automatic place to put chickens. They were the first things I bought for my new digs.

When I moved them from the brooder to the coop they were 40 days old; now they're 51 days. Nice healthy chicks. I lost 3 to a snake?? I thought right away; then I brought the little brooder INTO the coop and started shutting them up in that during the night. Didn't loose any more that way.

THEN I lost a couple (over a few days) -- they just disappeared. Didn't have a clue what happened -- they were just GONE.

This Monday I let them all out for the morning; then I heard a peep-peep and scratching from somewhere INSIDE the big coop. Every body else was out in the (enclosed) yard. I started looking. Finally I found the chick. There was a space in the far corner open between the joists about 4"x 10" that extended from the top nesting boxes down to the floor about 4 FEET. Down at the bottom was the live chick, as well as the body of the other missing chick.

I tried every way I could think of to reach the chick in that cramped, hard-to-get-to space. Rakes and brooms didn't work. Balled up chicken wire lowered down she would just jump off of. Grabber tongs wouldn't reach all the way down. I tried about 2 hours and temporarily gave up to think a bit on it.

We'd had 3 ceiling fans installed last week and the trash was still in the empty living room. In one of my rounds around the house, I looked at those boxes and a light bulb dawned! I'd fill up the hole with styrofoam!! I went out to the coop with a bunch of packing and started tearing off chunks and dropping down the hole. I was also hitting the chick and she'd squawk in protest but it didn't hurt her. And she couldn't have been LESS interested in eating it!!

It worked exactly as I expected! She climbed up as the mountain of styrofoam filled the hole until I could reach down and get her! Then I filled in the rest of the hole to about 1 foot of the top and then packed wads of chicken wire tightly in the remainder of the space.

Now we have a pullet named of course Lucky!


🙄🤚Do More!😩🤚 Less is More® Kiki Winz!
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Jul 31, 2015
Houston, TX
My Coop
My Coop
Good thinking.
Make sure your "new" coop is secure every where else so nothing else get's in to snack on them.

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom