Pics
So, about cattle: in spite of what's said out there so often, a cow is a female bovine over two years of age, or when she has her first calf.
'Calf' is a very young bovine of either sex. 'Heifer' is a female bovine under two years of age. When very young, 'heifer calf' is also fine.
A very young uncastrated male can be called a bull calf. Most are castrated young, then they are steers. Virtually all oxen are steers.
An ox is any bovine who is trained to haul stuff.
Mary

So, about cattle: in spite of what's said out there so often, a cow is a female bovine over two years of age, or when she has her first calf.
'Calf' is a very young bovine of either sex. 'Heifer' is a female bovine under two years of age. When very young, 'heifer calf' is also fine.
A very young uncastrated male can be called a bull calf. Most are castrated young, then they are steers. Virtually all oxen are steers.
Mary
Thanks, that’s helpful ❤️

Mary
And a free-martin is an infertile female with masculine behavior/anatomy.

Oh man. If I had the land and money, it'd be cows I think! I'm not at all confident I could handle an animal that big at first, but it would be so neat to learn.

Anyway, as I don't have either of those prerequisites, I'm hoping goats are a bit more realistic for my pretend-farm...

Back
Top Bottom