Dream to Nightmare

WCflockers

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 7, 2013
Illinois
We had our first predator losses yesterday...I know that it is part of the territory, I tried to prepare myself, but I am so sickened and sad. How do you ever get used to this? What keeps you going on raising chickens anyway?

It's so upsetting to lose anyone in a flock to a predator, my condolences. :( How many did you lose?

My family has always raised chickens for eggs and personal pleasure, nothing else. After a predator gets a girl or boy I remind myself that that chicken, no matter how young, lived a pleasant and happy life with us and not one spent in a cage. Knowing that the eggs we receive comes from happy chickens is what matters most to us.

Predators are frustrating but you just have to do the best you can to keep the flock safe and from there, let things be as they will. I loved my barred rock Velma, but she constantly strayed from the safety of the flock, and eventually a neighborhood dog got her. If I had another chance though I'm not sure what I could do differently besides keep her in the coop. She lived and died out in the fresh air, with plenty of grass and corn to eat. I know we gave her the best life we could.

What keeps us going is the promise of humane eggs and a happy flock. Chickens already don't live very long naturally. You've just got to enjoy them while you can. :')

It's so upsetting to lose anyone in a flock to a predator, my condolences. :( How many did you lose?

My family has always raised chickens for eggs and personal pleasure, nothing else. After a predator gets a girl or boy I remind myself that that chicken, no matter how young, lived a pleasant and happy life with us and not one spent in a cage. Knowing that the eggs we receive comes from happy chickens is what matters most to us.

Predators are frustrating but you just have to do the best you can to keep the flock safe and from there, let things be as they will. I loved my barred rock Velma, but she constantly strayed from the safety of the flock, and eventually a neighborhood dog got her. If I had another chance though I'm not sure what I could do differently besides keep her in the coop. She lived and died out in the fresh air, with plenty of grass and corn to eat. I know we gave her the best life we could.

What keeps us going is the promise of humane eggs and a happy flock. Chickens already don't live very long naturally. You've just got to enjoy them while you can. :')
I loose a lot exotic ducks,domestic rabbits, pheasants, guinea s and chicken to stray cats and wild cats and I agree with you it is frustrating sometimes you stand with empty hands
hu.gif
and don t know what to do but the thing is planning for the right plan for your enviroment to keep the right birds and I will held those responsible for any lost of birds and you are right enjoy it while you can

We have had a couple losses. The first six months with our duck pen, and the first six months with our chicken pen. We lost three chickens during the day, to something breaking in. My husband was all set to sell everything off, and give up. The next day, we just improved upon our set up. I too had that sick to my stomach feeling with my losses. Don't give up.

I am so sorry. I don't think you ever get used to it. If you free range at all for any amount of time, even if you are home, even if you are working around your chickens, predator loss can happen. I have had a bobcat take a hen in the middle of the day, and migratory hawks kill several over my 10 years.

For me, I have to balance my love of other wildlife with my pet hens ability to get out and be a chicken. I allow my hens freedom to free range for a few hours every day while I am home. I have constructed a predator proof coop and covered run when they are not out. They have trees to sit under, and places to hide should the need arise.

You don't say what kind of predator, but if it got into your coop, you can make your housing stronger and more secure. Dogs are a nasty problem if that is what happened, you can provide a fence around the chicken area. Make them as safe as possible and keep an eye on them....I think that's all you can do unless they are destined to live in a cage.

I like to think that my hens are happier and healthier out dust bathing, eating bugs, napping in the shade, running around rather than cooped up all the time. I take all the precations I can to keep them safe, check on them often and if I lose one to a predator, they stay in for days.

Hope this helps.

I am sorry for your loss.
sad.png

Thank you everyone so much. I truly appreciate your replies, they have helped me. This is our first flock (24 barred rocks/1 polish). They are 7 weeks old. I feel very secure about our actual coop, but - yes, we do free range. We have a large open land that is edged by woods and a creek. (we have a fence around the backyard area so the chickens (dogs, or kids) can't leave the actual yard). We are usually around, the two dogs are around as well. But, I guess the predator seized it's opportunity of a quiet afternoon (my husband was in the house and so were the dogs (rainy type - gloomy day), I ran to the store with the kids...came back ate lunch and went out to give the flock some kitchen scraps...only to find a few of them huddled int he corner of the coop. shaking. There was a weird big wet spot in the front area of the coop (not blood, or water, I thought it seemed like pee possibly?). I called the chickens. none anywhere except the couple in the coop. I shook my bowl and announced the treat (which normally all would come running). At this point wondered if my husband was playing a joke on me because so many were missing and could be found nowhere. Got the kids and the dogs out to search some more and finally we got some to come out of the woods. some would not budge though. all for the rest of the day they were upset and skiddish. they were laying together in groups in the woods, I tried to do a count...when we finally got them back to the coop later in the day, i looked around the woods more, to find one smashed looking chicken - deceased. Doing the headcount before securing them for the night, we still had one unaccounted for. This morning, I found the missing one in the nearby wood (feathers everywhere totally gutted). This bird was not in that spot the night before. It was just plain missing (or hidden). So, 2 lost to predators at this point. :(. I think I just feel overwhelmed by the amount of different types of predators out there. Our plan is to have the dogs out more (weve been keeping it limited as we are watching them around the chickens as they are still learning to protect). I was just shocked by the daytime attack and we didn't even have a clue. I was so sad to see what it did to the rest of the flock. They seemed to have bounced back today ...with more caution I suppose. I don't know if I will ever be able to feel calm when they are out there. I am praying the dog training will be our best defense during the day and the secure lock up in the evening will serve at night. I am very thankful for the blessings, that when I thought that we had lost way more at first then we actually did, as all their little bodies began emerging from their hiding spots...I am also grateful that our polish was not harmed because we truly do enjoy and treasure him/her (it is really one of the only we have named at this point ). Anyway, thank you again for sharing your knowledge, experiences, comforts.

I am so sorry for your loss. Its sad & frustrating. Most of us on here have experienced this & can relate to how you are feeling. Its never easy to lose a flock member but its always worth the effort. Hang in there
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom