Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

I've never had a Corona at 2 a.m., Jim. But in the past couple of challenging weeks, I have been tempted to have white wine with my Cheerios.

Re-freeze ice is so treacherous -- be careful.

I think "my" squirrels have sent out invites to every one of their friends and relatives. There are squirrels EVERYWHERE -- and all of them make my terrier crazier than she already is.

Car brakes are scheduled to get fixed today.

Lisa, I've gotten the Totally Tomatoes catalog but never ordered anything. Which varieties are you getting?

And, Anjanet, 200 trees!!??!!

Yes, 200 trees! We thankfully have an auger to use to dig holes.

I also have never had a beer at 2 am, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't! Lol

Lisa, I got the itch to plant too. Doesn't help that it has been in the 30s in January!!! I can't wait to plant. Never heard of Totally Tomatoes, will have to check them out.

And the squirrels, they are everywhere. We have had more red this year than any other year. And they are out now, so weird.

White wine on cheerios ? I thought it is red wine..
I did not have a Corona at two AM.
I had two Coronas ..
I don't have any urge to plant, yet.
at least I didn't have to drive home like in the
old days..
when we planted seedlings when I was in
high school, we just cut a slot with a straight
shovel and tamped the dirt against the roots
with our foot..
red squirrels will come out when the temps
are quite cold. greys usually need it above 40F

Lisa, I've gotten the Totally Tomatoes catalog but never ordered anything. Which varieties are you getting?
I can't find my order receipt at the moment, but I know I ordered more Sun Sugar as they are my absolute favorite cherry tomato, I also believe I ordered Chefs choice black, Sunny boy hybrid, Sunchocula cherry, and some mini me cucumbers. There's a couple that left out.

I think they are an offshoot of Jungs as they are also out of Randolf Wisconsin. I've been buying my tomatoes seeds from them for a few years as I like their endless varieties. They mostly do tomatoes and peppers. Husband turned down my offer to grow him some Carolina Reapers. He had troubles with those habenero I grew him once.

I guess I didn't notice they could be an offshoot of Jung's. Jim and I visited Jung's on a trip through Wisconsin (when I say "visited," I mean "bought lots of stuff"), and I still get their catalogs. I agree with you on the Sun Sugar; I had some of those last year; delicious!

I love the idea of having access to so many varieties from seed but have pretty much abandoned the idea of indoor seed starting. I get so excited when they first sprout, but I inevitably kill them with improper watering or lighting before they are big enough to go outdoors. My seeds have to be tough enough to grow in the great and dangerous outdoors -- or, I just buy started plants.

Sorry about your cold, Jim. I am constantly amazed at how many people seem willing to "share" their colds and other illnesses, rather than staying home and/or covering their sneezing, coughing faces.

Hope you feel better soon!

Although I am not a football fan (truly, I only watch the Super Bowl because of the ads), even I could enjoy a game like that!

My entire life right now seems to revolve around chickens. Eleanor is still getting twice daily Epsom salt soaks and bandage changes. A fecal test Friday indicated she has roundworms and capillaria (!?!). Since all the birds are out loose together during the day -- weather permitting -- they are all getting dewormed. So far, it's going better than expected, but I think all of the chickens' hatred of me will grow with each subsequent dose.

Eleanor is semi-resigned to our daily regimen of meds, soaks and wraps. She will, at least, sit quietly on my lap when I'm done playing nurse. But, I still regularly get winged in the face.

Back
Top Bottom