Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Pics
while Annie was mowing, I figured I would get some tires aired up and fixed. got the one wheelbarrow aired up. got one dolly aired up. then I took the flat tire off of the yard wagon. got the beads busted. that's as far as I got. It is an industrial rim.
I have to split the rim to get the tire off. twelve bolts to take off. Of course, they haven't been off in at least thirty years. I worked at them for too long. going to put it off for some day when I have nothing else to do.
the new apple trees decided to not bud out, instead they are sending up shoots from the roots. I will pick a shoot and let it grow.. next year I will graft something to it.

Rainy day. that's OK, I have neck therapy this morning.
The new apple trees are officially not going to grow. The grapes that I got from
C ville are not growing either. But, the apples are sending up shoots from the roots. I will let them grow, Later on I will pick two and let them grow. then I will graft something to them and then pick out the strongest one . I grafted an apple tree years ago and had good success. Then while I was plowing snow with the tractor, I slid into it and broke it off. bummer..
The fertilizing I did to the grapes and rhubarb paid off. with the little rain we had things are growing. there are new rhubarbs coming up between the two main plants. Now the rain we get today and the warm weather the rest of this week should really perk things up.
get your corn planted and jump back

Hopefully we don't get much rain, but looks like we will despite my hopes. I think by the rest of the forecast we can get the corn in by Saturday. I don't think it will be knee high by the fourth of July, but again I remain hopeful.

Many of our bare root trees and shrubs we planted look pathetic too. That's the last time I waste my money on stuff. I should have known better buying from Jungs, and the ones from Chief river nursery are about 50/50 currently. Stuff always look better in the middle of winter.

we went to menards today and bought a brush cutter for the weed whacker.
we have burdock and pigweed to get cut
some of it is like small trees.
I picked out the cutter that has chain saw teeth all around the edge.
then we came home and hid out in the AC
I hope it is not going to be too hot for my grapes and rhubarb.

I'm hiding in the house as well. Too warm for anything else unless someone wants to pay me. I'm not going outside for free. Nope, can't make me. :lol:

I hope the weather people are being over dramatic about the storms tomorrow. :fl

I did manage to pick some radish today. They are starting to bolt, so I guess that ends those. Have to pull them up and plant some green beans as soon as I can stay out for more than a few minutes.

Supposed to get 3 African goslings this week. Tracking number claims they are still in Tennessee. Hopefully that's wrong information. Usually the post office isn't too quick to update their information. Hopefully they don't show up already cooked.

It's like a swamp outside here. Storms rolled through here around 3 am. I sat with dogs for a bit. Lots of lightning, rain, and a bit of wind. Nothing severe. I'm about to give up on planting corn. See how much we get later today.

My goslings arrived this morning. Very alert and active.

Last edited:
It's like a swamp outside here. Storms rolled through here around 3 am. I sat with dogs for a bit. Lots of lightning, rain, and a bit of wind. Nothing severe. I'm about to give up on planting corn. See how much we get later today.

My goslings arrived this morning. Very alert and active.

View attachment 3149301
I always liked my geese. I had a few that were as friendly as a dog.
but you have to work with them.
I bought some Sebastabols one time, They never did get tame.
very skittish.
the ganders seemed to be the tamest.
often I would introduce baby geese or ducklings to the geese. the ganders would immediately adopt them. but other baby geese will not tolerate new babies. they will go out of their way to kill them.

So my older babies are going to be trouble? We had to remove the dominant gander when they were babies because he was determined to kill them. Sounds like I've made myself some more trouble. I did notice the adults have been chasing them off since they started a new nest.

Back
Top Bottom