Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Pics
we had a strawberry farm just a quarter mile across the field from us until this year. Last year was their last time. They have another place North of Merrill at the home farm.
I planted some strawberries in a plastic/rubber mortar box that I bought from Menards a lot of years ago. I used it for a bath tub for the geese and ducks. It is about 2ft x 3 ft and 8 inches deep I have nine plants in it. they are setting berries.. I have to get another one because I have more berries to plant.
I had laser surgery on both eyes on Friday. My eyes are super sensitive to light and they hurt like hell. I just got up at 4 AM and took a couple of Tynenol.
We had a couple nice T storms. No hail or damage.
.......jiminwisc......

Yikes on the eye surgery Jim. I hope you heal up quickly.

That's a good place to plant strawberries. Those concrete mixing boxes are fairly reasonably priced, aren't they?

We are still waiting on our pumpkin to come up. I might have planted them too deep. The corn is coming up spotty as well. I guess I won't buy seeds from Seeds and Such again.

where does the time go ?
I bought the last two tubs from Menards.
Yesterday I planted the second raised bed.
I set the tubs up on four 5 gallon buckets.
Makes tending easier.
My eye surgery went well. However the next day I had swelling in both eyes. Very light sensitive and sore. Tylenol to the rescue. I am fine now.
today I finally planted the asparagus. I dug 20 holes. Needed only 17. By the time I got those planted, I was glad I didn't have to do 3 more..
I have muscles aching that I didn't know I had.
Tomatoes are blossoming.
I have about nine more to get into pots.
........jiminwaUSAu.........

We are getting near the end of June already. Time has been flying. We got first crop of hay off easily. We really need some rain here. Grass is getting crispy like it often does in August.

We are desperately trying to eat up the lettuce which is starting to bolt. There's still a lot of it. Tomatoes are taking forever this year due to the late start getting them planted here.

It looks like we might get some much needed rain around noon. They can keep the hail.
I planted a tub of beets yesterday. 100 seeds. I did not soak them because I did not know I was going to plant. I also planted another beef steak tomato and a Rutgers.
DD has two more tubs for me. I will pick them up today. I want to plant beans in one of them,
I have to get at the grapes and get them weeded and fertilized.
I should have been born twins.

......jiminwisc........

We got hit by lightning last Thursday night. It took out our modem, phone, septic alarm and my directv. Finally got my new modem today. We need more rain. Some stuff is starting to yellow out from being so dry here.

So sorry to hear about the lightning strike.
We didn't get any lightning , We did get some rain. there was about an inch in a 5 gallon bucket. I keep saying that I'm going to get a rain gauge. Someday..
I got two tubs from DD. planted 50 beans in one . half green, half yellow.
I have 8 tomatoes in pots. one tub with 100 beets, and two tubs with strawberries.
Got 17 asparagus planted. have to get some of them back filled.
grapes still need weeding.
I did mow some grass for the first time. made a hay stack for mulch.
mulched four trees with some of the hay.
fixed the flat tire on the lawn mower. I thought I had a hole in the tube. Turns out I did not have a tube in that tire yet. There is one now.
I am keeping up on watering, all plants look good.
.......jiminwaUSAu.....

I'm exhausted listening to you Jim. That's a lot of stuff. :)

50 green bean plants, that will be a lot of picking and preserving. Do you ever pickle beans? I love those, but am too lazy to do them these days.

I keep having problems with asparagus beetles here. I end up having to treat the plants and than we can't eat the asparagus after that. I've never hated a bug so much in my life. The poultry don't take care of them either.

I don't care for pickled veggies. I will eat pickles once in a while, though.
We freeze beans in zip loc bags. Corn too.
Sure was a nice rain yesterday. we were right on the edge of the storm system, No wind or hail. Just a nice calm steady rain , all day. I think we got about 3/4".
My lettuce came up already, the beans are due any day now. The beets should come up about July 1.. I have one more tub I could plant, Don't know what I should..
I am not too impressed with the container strawberries. I think I planted them too late. they are everbearing, so maybe later in the summer they will perk up.
.......jiminwaUSAu......

Back
Top Bottom