Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

@TheDawg I have looked at those bunches of seeds, you will have to let us know how the germination is with them. I ordered seeds from MIGardeners last week when they had their black friday sale and got all my packets for under $2 each. So, I am ready for spring.....in 4 months, lol

Cold and windy here the past couple days, they are saying 30s today but also gusts of wind up into the 30 mph range. I believe we are in a wind advisory.

Lisa, my chickens also stayed inside all day on Tuesday, they ran out for food and water and then ran back in, lol. Also, climbing fences...you are brave, I haven't climbed one in years and you were doing it in the cold and ice :bow

Barb, sounds like a roller coaster of a day for sure, glad you were able to get the work done on your car and some shopping done with your sister, and your beverage sounds like it was well deserved.

Nothing much going on here, just trying to stay warm and prepare for winter. We have enough home canned, freeze dried and pantry food but need to get some more meat and bottled water, so that is my mission this weekend. I like to have everything done and stored up by Dec 1st so I will be a couple days late but I have not wanted to venture into town at all--with the cold and rising influenza cases in our area, I will just stay put. Will finish putting plastic on the upstairs windows this weekend and will haul some wood up to the deck so when it gets bitter cold or more than 12 inches of snow, I don't have to walk out to the wood shed/shelters. I will also be trying to figure out what (if anything) we are doing for the holidays with my side of the family, maybe nothing but hopefully we can see them and do something.

Anyone have any big plans for the weekend or the next couple weeks?

Happy Friday

Yup, it is nice to have a friend handy to
comfort you after a hectic day. Carlo Rossi
visits me once in a while.
IDK about putting the back blade on today.
If it is going to be windy like it was yesterday.
I also have to check the transmission fluid.
I might have to add some. that is always a PITA.
until next time, stay off of those fences.

@TheDawg I have looked at those bunches of seeds, you will have to let us know how the germination is with them. I ordered seeds from MIGardeners last week when they had their black friday sale and got all my packets for under $2 each. So, I am ready for spring.....in 4 months, lol

Cold and windy here the past couple days, they are saying 30s today but also gusts of wind up into the 30 mph range. I believe we are in a wind advisory.

Lisa, my chickens also stayed inside all day on Tuesday, they ran out for food and water and then ran back in, lol. Also, climbing fences...you are brave, I haven't climbed one in years and you were doing it in the cold and ice :bow

Barb, sounds like a roller coaster of a day for sure, glad you were able to get the work done on your car and some shopping done with your sister, and your beverage sounds like it was well deserved.

Nothing much going on here, just trying to stay warm and prepare for winter. We have enough home canned, freeze dried and pantry food but need to get some more meat and bottled water, so that is my mission this weekend. I like to have everything done and stored up by Dec 1st so I will be a couple days late but I have not wanted to venture into town at all--with the cold and rising influenza cases in our area, I will just stay put. Will finish putting plastic on the upstairs windows this weekend and will haul some wood up to the deck so when it gets bitter cold or more than 12 inches of snow, I don't have to walk out to the wood shed/shelters. I will also be trying to figure out what (if anything) we are doing for the holidays with my side of the family, maybe nothing but hopefully we can see them and do something.

Anyone have any big plans for the weekend or the next couple weeks?

Happy Friday
I’ll definitely let you know!! Sounds like you got a good deal on the seeds!

Cold, cold and cold---feeling like -14F here today. The chickens were not impressed when I opened up their coop that was in the teens, lol. But I made them up some warm chicken feed mash and they like me again :) I add more straw to the nesting boxes, I think my 18 weeks olds are hanging out in them during the day together, which is fine, I don't find any poop so I will let it be. The 6 week old chicks are still being mothered by both hens, they haven't taken them to roost or in a nesting box at night yet so I wonder if they will keep them a bit longer until they wean them, maybe because of the cold.

I haven't put out my heated dog bowls yet because of the babies, so I will be swapping waterers today every couple hours, but it gets me up and moving, outside and I will grab an armful of wood each time :)

No real plans here today other than cleaning and maybe some baking. Youngest wants to go to the library but DH said the roads were icy with snow on top, so we will see. Tomorrow will be nice, back to the 30s but the library is closed....can't win. I am a total wus when it comes to winter driving, always have been.

Cold, cold and cold---feeling like -14F here today. The chickens were not impressed when I opened up their coop that was in the teens, lol. But I made them up some warm chicken feed mash and they like me again :) I add more straw to the nesting boxes, I think my 18 weeks olds are hanging out in them during the day together, which is fine, I don't find any poop so I will let it be. The 6 week old chicks are still being mothered by both hens, they haven't taken them to roost or in a nesting box at night yet so I wonder if they will keep them a bit longer until they wean them, maybe because of the cold.

I haven't put out my heated dog bowls yet because of the babies, so I will be swapping waterers today every couple hours, but it gets me up and moving, outside and I will grab an armful of wood each time :)

No real plans here today other than cleaning and maybe some baking. Youngest wants to go to the library but DH said the roads were icy with snow on top, so we will see. Tomorrow will be nice, back to the 30s but the library is closed....can't win. I am a total wus when it comes to winter driving, always have been.

Annie is no slouch when it comes to driving on
slippery roads. It is getting to where I don't ride
with her if I don't have to when the roads are snow
covered. I know I am going to die at an old age,
the question is , how ?

Sounds like Wisconsin's weather has been much worse than here. I don't envy any of you dealing with frigid temps and so much snow. Forecast here shows daytime temps above freezing all week. This is a December I can enjoy!

"I can resist everything except temptation," Oscar Wilde said. That's usually me when the nearby auction house holds a sale. Yesterday, the weather was so nice -- above freezing, sunny and minimal wind -- and with the memory of overspending at the last auction still in my head, I managed to stay home.

I let the poultry run about all day, cleaned waterers, scooped poop and moved things out of the garage, including the weight set I backed over last week on my way to the "never-ending" service appointment. Yesterday, I got an email from Ford asking me to rate my dealership experience. I am looking forward to doing so.

Had to pick up hay on Saturday, and while I was passing through town, I stopped at Bomgaars where they were selling $30 gift cards for $25, and I loaded up. I can use those discounted cards in combination with their 10-percent-off senior Tuesdays. Merry Christmas from me to me!

I love the old black-and-white Christmas movies. So far I've watched (again) "Christmas in Connecticut" and "The Shop Around the Corner." Still waiting for (among others) "It Happened on Fifth Avenue," "Miracle on 34th Street" and, of course versions of "A Christmas Carol." I missed "Remember the Night" yesterday because it was on opposite the PBS marathon of "All Creatures Great and Small."

Hope everyone has a good -- and not too cold or icy -- week!

I learned a new trick on how to get a square head
pipe plug loosened. Just turn a socket backwards
and use the drive hole over the square nut. You can
also use a twelve point socket if you can find the
correct size.. I lucked out and had both..
and that was my project for today.. having lots of
head pain issues today. on Dec 14 I have a dr appt
about it.

Back
Top Bottom