Dried blood under duck wing

Michiganducklady

Hatching
Jul 21, 2021
Please see photos. There appears to be dried blood under my ducks feather. She was fine this morning and when I checked on her this afternoon, I noticed flies on her and the blood. There appears to be no active bleeding. She can still move both wings. She is eating and drinking. I separated her into a coop by herself and sprayed Microcyn on the area. She normally is free range and mating season is over. Any idea what caused this? Anything else I should be doing? The nearest vet is an hour away and is booked for 2 weeks.

Attachments

• PXL_20210721_221124903.jpg
    PXL_20210721_221124903.jpg
    805.2 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20210721_220622260.jpg
    PXL_20210721_220622260.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 22
Looks like something got hold of her. Can you wash that area real good? Even a good tub bath so you can get a good picture of the wound? Flies mean maggots so once you have her cleaned off good might better clip feathers so you can look for maggots. Salt water will help flush any out.

She would not go into the pool voluntarily but I was able to pick her up and put her in there 3 times (she's a fighter) to try to clean off the old blood. I did notice some blood that looked like it was coming from the skin. She was so stressed out that I decided to put her in the coop for the night. Thoughts?

Attachments

• PXL_20210722_001944312.jpg
    PXL_20210722_001944312.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20210722_001942819.jpg
    PXL_20210722_001942819.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 17
i would take the time and clean it in the morning. Wash it light with some dawn soap or another simple soap. You can wrap her in a towel to help keep her still. If you can soak with epson salt for 5-10 minutes it would help. You can spray with Veterycen (if you don’t have it am going to buy it I suggest to get the generic one. It is cheaper and you get more out of it.) you can put some Neosporin on the skin. if other ducks are biting her you get get some peck no more at your local TCS.
I am not a vet but I will help if I can.

It definitely looks like a wound. I would follow the advice above as it needs more care than a dip in the pool.

i would take the time and clean it in the morning. Wash it light with some dawn soap or another simple soap. You can wrap her in a towel to help keep her still. If you can soak with epson salt for 5-10 minutes it would help. You can spray with Veterycen (if you don’t have it am going to buy it I suggest to get the generic one. It is cheaper and you get more out of it.) you can put some Neosporin on the skin. if other ducks are biting her you get get some peck no more at your local TCS.
I am not a vet but I will help if I can.
Thank you, I will try that. I have separated her for the time being. TSC was out of Veterycen so I have been using Microcyn. Is there a difference?

Thank you, I will try that. I have separated her for the time being. TSC was out of Veterycen so I have been using Microcyn. Is there a difference?
Interestingly microcyn started vetrycin and then vetrycin changed some of the ingredients. But, then changed it back and called it "plus". So basically microcyn is the equivalent of vetrycin plus.

https://microcynvs.com/faq/

Sad update... She passed away. I went to feed her this morning and saw her in the coop deceased. Unfortunately maggots had already gotten to her. I still do not see any puncture wounds. I'm at lost as to what happened. Her head was arched backwards when I found her. Does this mean anything?

She was the most friendly duck out of all the flock. ❤️

Sad update... She passed away. I went to feed her this morning and saw her in the coop deceased. Unfortunately maggots had already gotten to her. I still do not see any puncture wounds. I'm at lost as to what happened. Her head was arched backwards when I found her. Does this mean anything?

She was the most friendly duck out of all the flock. ❤️
I am so sorry. I hate when my animals die. It is always worse when you try to help them and they pass either way.
I don’t think k her position mean anything. Unless she is hurt on the neck. That would mean she water got herself hurt if a predator got in again.
I made this for you with photoshop.

Attachments

• 219FF98A-FC73-4ACC-8378-4D37541CE072.jpeg
    219FF98A-FC73-4ACC-8378-4D37541CE072.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom