Dried mealworms

LordEvan5

Songster
Oct 21, 2020
Quaker Hill Connecticut
I just read that dried mealworms may be bad for my birdies. What are your guys opinions on this? I would hate to take away a treat they love so much, but if they are bad for them is rather they be health. I mean I can find another treat for them.

Thank you in advance;
Evan

Attachments

• AA3EA08B-BA0E-4390-99E0-BBD7ADAD0A23.jpeg
    AA3EA08B-BA0E-4390-99E0-BBD7ADAD0A23.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 41
Thanks for the link. It appears to be what @Andrew Sheffield described. It is illegal in the EU apparently.

The article didn't describe a single instance of disease coming from mealworms, but if others decided to be cautious and avoid them, that is their choice. They cited mad cow disease, which was spread by cows eating cow remains. Nothing like that is happening here.

Their only concrete "concern" was with the high protein concentration, but didn't cite why that is a problem. Other insects are also high in protein and that is used as a selling point for humans to eat them (yuck!). Again, if you use them as a treat I don't believe there is a problem.

Thanks for finding and sharing that article. It is interesting.

Last edited:
Mealworms are treats. The general rule is that "treats" should not exceed 10% of the diet, by weight, daily.

Live/frozen mealworms aren't terrible, due to their high water content (60% +).

Dehydrated meal worms, because their nutritional factors are concentrated, can EASILY imbalance a diet. Dehydrated mealworms are usually offered nutritional estimates of 45-50% protein (that's good), 25-30% fat (that's VERY bad). So offering 1/10th of the daily ration (10-12g) as mealworm treats likely increases the daily protein consumption around 4.5%, AND brings up the fat around 2.5%. Since the target fat for a poultry diet is around 3.5%, adding another 2.5% is much more damaging than a 4.5% increase in protein is beneficial.

and if, as most do, you feed more than 10% (by weight)??? Then the calculations are even further imbalanced.

and for those who might briefly think that the addition of dried mealworms helps turn their cheap 16% layer into slightly more expensive 20% All Flock (setting aside the excess calcium from the layer, and the excess fat from the mealworms)? Please tell me where you are finding dried meal worms for $2-3/bag? $6-8 per lb is more common...

Back
Top Bottom