Dried poop in vent

Kthomson3

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I purchased a Lavender Orpington who had been at the bottom of the pecking order and lost a lot of feathers.

I suspected she had vent gleet as her vent was very messy and smelly. The poop had dried in the vent. I cleaned the vent with warm water and had to pick out the dried poop. She was able to poop again.

What should I feed her to encourage more pooping ? I did give her yogurt and molasses. Should I continue with this. Is it ok to give her scratch/oatmeal.

She’s not laying eggs yet and I don’t want her too till she’s better and has gotten her feathers back yet

Well you can’t stop a hen from laying so not sure about that.
Do you have photos?
Did you treat the gleet?
Has she been laying eggs?
Photo’s would be so awsome it’s just easier to see what your talking about.

Well you can’t stop a hen from laying so not sure about that.
Do you have photos?
Did you treat the gleet?
Has she been laying eggs?
Photo’s would be so awsome it’s just easier to see what your talking about.

She was hatched in June so she isn’t laying yet.

I didn’t take any photos and I got the poop out. It was like a hard mass that I had to work at soaking with water and digging out.

I’m just worried about her diet and what I should be feeding her to make sure the poop doesn’t build up again

See that’s what has me worried...that you had to dig it out. I’ve trimmed dried poop but the vent was always pink and moist.
Olive oil or coconut oil any vegetable oil will help to answer your question.
Does her vent look normal now?
Does she sleep on the ground?
Do you deworm your chickens?

She was hatched in June so she isn’t laying yet.

I didn’t take any photos and I got the poop out. It was like a hard mass that I had to work at soaking with water and digging out.

I’m just worried about her diet and what I should be feeding her to make sure the poop doesn’t build up again
Have you considered fermenting her feed to improve its nutritional value and her gut health?

Back
Top Bottom