1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Drinking water safe hoses

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nwgirl, Apr 23, 2009.

1. nwgirl

nwgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Everett, Washington
    I looked at every hose at the local hardware store (Lowes) and they all had the same warning on them.

Does anyone know where I can find an outdoor hose that is safe to use to water my chickens?

2. MHF

MHF Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    Durham, NC
    A camper supply will have them and I have seen them at Wal-Mart in the sporting goods or auto section.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Sporting goods stores like Academy Sports and the Wal-Mart or Target camping areas.

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Chech out RV supply stores. You want one for filling "potable" water tanks. They are usually white so they stand out.

5. nwgirl

Mar 27, 2009
    Everett, Washington
    Thanks for the suggestions. Its not something I had even concerned until the other day when I was in the hardware store then it hit me when I saw the hoses.

Do most of you use safe drinking hoses to water your chickens, or am I just being a finicky mother hen?

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

No, I just run the water long enough to flush out the hose.

Lead leaches from the hose if the water is left stagnant in there, so you have to flush all of that water out first. I always do that for all my pets, and after flushing it out I even drink from the hose!

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    we just use a regular hose....but we go through so much water a day between goats,pigs,chickens,ducks,quail. i think the water is safe..i hope!.. [​IMG]

8. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    whats wrong with your water/hoses
    my chickens have always drank from a water hose

9. nwgirl

Mar 27, 2009
    Everett, Washington
    Quote:I know some hoses are made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), which uses lead as a stabilizer, so that's why I was concerned. I think I'm just being a finicky mother hen [​IMG]

I will flush them first real well before using. Thanks.

10. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    ok now i understand better
    it should be only trace amounts if used as a stsabilizer though nothing to be concerned of

theres nuttin better then a lovin momma [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by