Drinking water safe hoses

nwgirl

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Everett, Washington
I looked at every hose at the local hardware store (Lowes) and they all had the same warning on them.

Does anyone know where I can find an outdoor hose that is safe to use to water my chickens?

Thanks for the suggestions. Its not something I had even concerned until the other day when I was in the hardware store then it hit me when I saw the hoses.

Do most of you use safe drinking hoses to water your chickens, or am I just being a finicky mother hen?

No, I just run the water long enough to flush out the hose.

Lead leaches from the hose if the water is left stagnant in there, so you have to flush all of that water out first. I always do that for all my pets, and after flushing it out I even drink from the hose!

we just use a regular hose....but we go through so much water a day between goats,pigs,chickens,ducks,quail. i think the water is safe..i hope!..
hide.gif

Quote:
I know some hoses are made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), which uses lead as a stabilizer, so that's why I was concerned. I think I'm just being a finicky mother hen
tongue.png

I will flush them first real well before using. Thanks.

ok now i understand better
it should be only trace amounts if used as a stsabilizer though nothing to be concerned of

theres nuttin better then a lovin momma
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom