Driving myself crazy !

Rocky Top Chick

Songster
10 Years
Feb 2, 2009
North Carolina
I have come to the conclusion that until my chickens either lay an egg or crow this sexing thing is completely out of my hands. Does anyone else feel the same way. They are at 11 and 12 weeks old and I am second guessing myself every day on a few. I don't want to post pictures because with all the different answers I will be even more crazy. This is torture !!!! How do the experienced handle this every year. From now on I am only getting chicks that can absolutely be sexed at birth..................WHEW
sad.png

Oh, just have fun with it. I think I know which of mine are boys, but I'm still prepared for surprises. Of course it helps that I'm allowed to keep roosters if I like.
big_smile.png

I think if you post good pics you will get correct answers given that your birds are 11 weeks old.
smile.png

Last edited:
It may seem a bit fustrating, but once you understand it and get the hang of it it's really not hard.

After a few years of practice and looking at hundreds of my own chicks, I can usually sex mine by combs at birth. Unless of course they are my EE's or Brahmas. In which case it takes a few weeks.

But really, it's especially easy if you have more than one chick of the same breed. Cause then you can compare them.

Don't give up just keep trying, and one day you will catch on!
thumbsup.gif
Goodluck

I love trying to guess!

I too have started to see the combs at hatch time! It was so cool when I realized it.. some of those lil rubbery white wet combs are so obvious!

Do post pics.. it's CAN be fun!

Back
Top Bottom